Generic Name: gramicidin/neomycin/polymyxin (gram-i-SYE-din/NEE-oh-MYE-sin/POL-ee-MIX-in)
Brand Name: Examples include Neocin-PG and Neosporin
Neocin-PG drops is used for:
Treating eye infections caused by certain bacteria.
Neocin-PG drops is an antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria on the eye.
Do NOT use Neocin-PG drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Neocin-PG drops or to other aminoglycosides (eg, tobramycin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Neocin-PG drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Neocin-PG drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Neocin-PG drops. Because little, if any, of Neocin-PG drops is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Neocin-PG drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Neocin-PG drops:
Use Neocin-PG drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use Neocin-PG drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eyelid for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Neocin-PG drops. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- To prevent reinfection, wash your hands before and after using Neocin-PG drops.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Neocin-PG drops for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Neocin-PG drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Neocin-PG drops.
Important safety information:
- Neocin-PG drops only works against bacteria; it does not treat fungal or viral infections.
- Be sure to use Neocin-PG drops for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Neocin-PG drops may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- If your symptoms do not get better within a few days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Neocin-PG drops for future eye problems unless directed by your doctor.
- Neocin-PG drops should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Neocin-PG drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if Neocin-PG drops is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Neocin-PG drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Neocin-PG drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild burning, irritation, or stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; continued redness, burning, swelling, or itching; eye discharge; eye pain; secondary infection.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Neocin-PG drops:
Store Neocin-PG drops at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Neocin-PG drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Neocin-PG drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Neocin-PG drops is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Neocin-PG drops or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Neocin-PG drops. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Neocin-PG drops. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Neocin-PG drops.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.