Nalex AC syrup
Generic Name: brompheniramine/codeine (BROME-fen-IR-a-meen/KOE-deen)
Brand Name: Nalex AC
Some children have had serious and sometimes fatal breathing problems when using codeine after surgery to remove tonsils or adenoids. Talk with your doctor for more information.
Nalex AC syrup is used for:
Relieving runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Nalex AC syrup is an antihistamine and narcotic cough suppressant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex, which reduces a dry cough.
Do NOT use Nalex AC syrup if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nalex AC syrup or any other codeine- or morphine-related medicine
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, angle-closure glaucoma, or peptic ulcers
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or if you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
- the patient is a child and has just had surgery to remove tonsils or adenoids
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nalex AC syrup:
Some medical conditions may interact with Nalex AC syrup. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart blood vessel problems, irregular heartbeat, or any other heart problems (eg, cor pulmonale)
- if you have a history of high blood pressure; diabetes; liver or kidney problems; stroke; glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or bowels; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; or thyroid problems
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sleep apnea, slow or irregular breathing), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have severe drowsiness, recent head or brain injury, brain tumor, increased pressure in the brain, infection of the brain or nervous system, or a seizure disorder (eg, epilepsy)
- if you have very poor health or a history of constipation, stomach problems (eg, ulcers), bowel problems (eg, chronic inflammation or ulceration of the bowel), or gallbladder problems (eg, gallstones), or if you have had recent stomach, bowel, or urinary surgery
- if you have a history of alcohol or substance abuse or suicidal thoughts or behavior
- if you are taking medicine for high blood pressure or depression
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nalex AC syrup. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticholinergics (eg, scopolamine) because serious bowel motility problem (paralytic ileus) may occur
- Cimetidine, furazolidone, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Nalex AC syrup's side effects
- Narcotic pain medicines (eg, hydrocodone) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Nalex AC syrup
- Naltrexone, quinidine, or rifamycins (eg, rifampin) because they may decrease Nalex AC syrup's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Nalex AC syrup may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nalex AC syrup:
Use Nalex AC syrup as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Nalex AC syrup by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Nalex AC syrup, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nalex AC syrup.
Important safety information:
- Nalex AC syrup may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Nalex AC syrup with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Nalex AC syrup; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Nalex AC syrup may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Nalex AC syrup has brompheniramine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has brompheniramine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your cough or other symptoms persist for more than 1 week, come back, or if you also have fever, rash, or persistent headache, check with your doctor.
- Nalex AC syrup may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Nalex AC syrup for a few days before the tests.
- Nalex AC syrup may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Nalex AC syrup. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Nalex AC syrup before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Nalex AC syrup with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excitability, low blood pressure, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using Nalex AC syrup in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Nalex AC syrup should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Nalex AC syrup while you are pregnant. Do not take Nalex AC syrup if you are in the third trimester of pregnancy. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Nalex AC syrup.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Nalex AC syrup may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Nalex AC syrup stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, some people develop a need to continue taking Nalex AC syrup. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you suddenly stop taking Nalex AC syrup, you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms including anxiety; diarrhea; fever, runny nose, or sneezing; goose bumps and abnormal skin sensations; nausea; vomiting; pain; rigid muscles; rapid heartbeat; seeing, hearing or feeling things that are not there; shivering or tremors; sweating; trouble sleeping.
Possible side effects of Nalex AC syrup:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; thickening of mucus secretions; upset stomach; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision, double vision, or other vision changes; confusion; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; loss of coordination; mood or mental changes; nervousness; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; shallow breathing; tremor; trouble sleeping; uncontrolled muscle movements; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual weakness or tiredness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; shallow breathing; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Nalex AC syrup:
Store Nalex AC syrup at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Nalex AC syrup out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nalex AC syrup, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nalex AC syrup is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Nalex AC syrup or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Nalex AC syrup. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Nalex AC syrup. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Nalex AC syrup.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.