Mylanta Supreme suspension
Generic Name: calcium carbonate/magnesium hydroxide (KAL-see-um KAR-boh-nate/mag-NEE-zee-um hye-DROX-ide)
Brand Name: Examples include Masanti Supreme and Mylanta Supreme
Mylanta Supreme suspension is used for:
Treating acid indigestion, heartburn, and sour stomach. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Mylanta Supreme suspension is an antacid. It works by neutralizing the acid in the stomach.
Do NOT use Mylanta Supreme suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Mylanta Supreme suspension
- you have an increased calcium level in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Mylanta Supreme suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Mylanta Supreme suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have appendicitis, a history of kidney conditions, colon or intestinal blockage, parathyroid hormone (PTH) deficiency, or sarcoidosis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Mylanta Supreme suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Mylanta Supreme suspension
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), bisphosphonates (eg, alendronate), cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Mylanta Supreme suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Mylanta Supreme suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Mylanta Supreme suspension:
Use Mylanta Supreme suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Mylanta Supreme suspension by mouth with or without food. Follow with a full glass (8 oz/240 mL) of water or other liquid.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Do not take Mylanta Supreme suspension before bedtime if you are using it for constipation.
- Do not take more than 18 teaspoonfuls (90 mL) in a 24-hour period, or use the maximum dose for more than 2 weeks, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Mylanta Supreme suspension, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Mylanta Supreme suspension.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use the maximum dose for more than 2 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Mylanta Supreme suspension can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Mylanta Supreme suspension while you are pregnant. It is not known if Mylanta Supreme suspension is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Mylanta Supreme suspension, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Mylanta Supreme suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); loss of appetite; muscle weakness; nausea; slow reflexes; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; stomach cramps.Proper storage of Mylanta Supreme suspension:
Store Mylanta Supreme suspension at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Mylanta Supreme suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Mylanta Supreme suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Mylanta Supreme suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Mylanta Supreme suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Mylanta Supreme suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Mylanta Supreme suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Mylanta Supreme suspension.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.