Generic Name: miconazole (mi-KON-a-zole)
Brand Name: Monistat-Derm
Monistat-Derm cream is used for:
Treating athlete's foot, jock itch, or ringworm and relieving the itching, scaling, burning, and discomfort due to those conditions. It may be used to treat yeast infections of the skin or scaly patches on the skin caused by fungus. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Monistat-Derm cream is an antifungal. It works by weakening the fungal cell membrane, which kills the fungus.
Do NOT use Monistat-Derm cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Monistat-Derm cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Monistat-Derm cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Monistat-Derm cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of liver problems or the blood disease porphyria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Monistat-Derm cream. Because little, if any, of Monistat-Derm cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Monistat-Derm cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Monistat-Derm cream:
Use Monistat-Derm cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clean the affected area and dry it thoroughly.
- Apply a thin layer of medicine over the affected area in the morning and evening unless directed otherwise by your doctor. Rub in gently.
- If you are applying Monistat-Derm cream to skin folds, apply only a small amount and smooth in well to avoid irritation.
- Wash hands immediately after using Monistat-Derm cream unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- For athlete's foot, pay special attention to the area between the toes. Wear well-fitting, ventilated shoes, and change your shoes and socks at least once daily.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Monistat-Derm cream for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days.
- Supervise children in the use of this product.
- If you miss a dose of Monistat-Derm cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Monistat-Derm cream.
Important safety information:
- Monistat-Derm cream is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes. If you get Monistat-Derm cream in your eyes, rinse them immediately with cool tap water.
- If Monistat-Derm cream is swallowed, contact a doctor or poison control center immediately.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage or dressing unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- If there is no improvement of athlete's foot within 4 weeks or jock itch, ringworm, or yeast infection within 2 weeks, or if your condition persists, contact your health care provider.
- Monistat-Derm cream is not effective on the scalp or nails.
- Do not use on CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age unless directed by a doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Monistat-Derm cream, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Monistat-Derm cream during pregnancy. It is unknown if Monistat-Derm cream is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Monistat-Derm cream, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Monistat-Derm cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent burning or irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Store Monistat-Derm cream at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Monistat-Derm cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Monistat-Derm cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Monistat-Derm cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Monistat-Derm cream. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Monistat-Derm (miconazole topical)
- Other brands: Monistat 7, Zeasorb-AF, Lotrimin AF Athlete's Foot Powder, Secura Antifungal, More (27) »
- Monistat 3-Day Combination Pack
- Monistat 1-Day Ovule Combination Pack
- Monistat 1-Day Pre-Filled Applicator
- More (2) »