Generic Name: meclizine (MEK-li-zeen)
Brand Name: Examples include Antivert and Dramamine Less Drowsy.
Meni-D is used for:
Preventing and treating nausea, vomiting, and dizziness associated with motion sickness. It is also used for vertigo (or dizziness) caused by certain inner ear problems. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Meni-D is an antihistamine. It works by blocking a certain substance in the brain, which helps to reduce or prevent vomiting.
Do NOT use Meni-D if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Meni-D
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Meni-D:
Some medical conditions may interact with Meni-D. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- you have asthma; chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD); chronic bronchitis or emphysema; blockage of the stomach, intestine, or urinary tract; kidney or liver problems; enlarged prostate; or glaucoma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Meni-D. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Perampanel or sodium oxybate (GHB) because they may increase the risk of Meni-D's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Meni-D may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Meni-D:
Use Meni-D as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Meni-D by mouth with or without food.
- For prevention of motion sickness, take Meni-D at least 1 hour before activity or travel.
- Use Meni-D exactly as directed on the package, unless instructed differently by your doctor. If you are taking Meni-D without a prescription, follow any warnings and precautions on the label.
- If you miss a dose of Meni-D and are using it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Meni-D.
Important safety information:
- Meni-D may cause drowsiness or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Meni-D with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are taking Meni-D.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Meni-D; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- This product may contain tartrazine dye (FD&C Yellow No. 5). This may cause an allergic reaction in some patients. If you have ever had an allergic reaction to tartrazine, ask your pharmacist if your product has tartrazine in it.
- Use Meni-D with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Meni-D should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Meni-D while you are pregnant. It is not known if Meni-D is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Meni-D, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Meni-D:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; tiredness; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include drowsiness; hallucinations; seizures; unusual excitability; very slow or shallow breathing.Proper storage of Meni-D:
Store Meni-D at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Meni-D out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Meni-D, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Meni-D is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Meni-D or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Meni-D. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Meni-D. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Meni-D.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.