Generic Name: benzocaine (BEN-zoe-kane)
Brand Name: Americaine
Medicone Ointment is used for:
Temporarily relieving pain, burning, and itching caused by hemorrhoids or other rectal conditions.
Medicone Ointment is a topical anesthetic. It works by numbing the skin.
Do NOT use Medicone Ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Medicone Ointment
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Medicone Ointment:
Some medical conditions may interact with Medicone Ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, peripheral vascular problems, or skin irritation
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Medicone Ointment. Because little, if any, of Medicone Ointment is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Medicone Ointment may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Medicone Ointment:
Use Medicone Ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Medicone Ointment is for external use around the outside of the rectum only. Do not use Medicone Ointment inside the rectum.
- Cleanse area with mild soap and warm water when possible and rinse thoroughly. Gently dry by patting or blotting with tissue or a soft cloth. Apply to affected area as instructed.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 7 days, stop using Medicone Ointment and contact your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Medicone Ointment, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Medicone Ointment.
Important safety information:
- If you notice any new symptoms or your symptoms get worse, contact your doctor.
- If ointment contacts clothing or fabrics, wash in warm water only. Do not bleach.
Possible side effects of Medicone Ointment:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); rectal bleeding, redness, irritation, swelling, or pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Medicone Ointment may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Medicone Ointment:
Store Medicone Ointment between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Medicone Ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Medicone Ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Medicone Ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Medicone Ointment or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Medicone Ointment. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Medicone Ointment. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Medicone Ointment.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.