Generic Name: lorazepam (lor-AZ-e-pam)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Lorazepam solution is used for:
Treating anxiety or anxiety associated with symptoms of depression. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Lorazepam solution is a benzodiazepine. It works by slowing down the movement of chemicals in the brain. This results in a reduction in nervous tension (anxiety) and causes little sedation.
Do NOT use lorazepam solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in lorazepam solution
- you have narrow-angle glaucoma, psychosis, or severe liver disease
- you are currently taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using lorazepam solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with lorazepam solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines or other substances
- if you are taking any other medicine that causes drowsiness (eg, narcotics, some antidepressants)
- if you have impaired lung function, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), muscle weakness or fatigue, glaucoma, liver problems, blood disorders, or depression, or have thought about suicide
- if you have a history of drug abuse or drug dependence
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with lorazepam solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) or theophyllines because they may decrease lorazepam solution's effectiveness
- Clozapine, kava, loxapine, narcotic pain relievers (eg, morphine, codeine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or valproic acid because side effects, such as extreme sedation, slowed breathing, confusion, or memory problems may, occur
- Digoxin, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), narcotic pain relievers (eg, morphine, codeine), nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, vecuronium), or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by lorazepam solution
- Nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, vecuronium) because they may decrease lorazepam solution's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if lorazepam solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use lorazepam solution:
Use lorazepam solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take lorazepam solution by mouth with or without food.
- Use the dropper that comes with lorazepam solution to measure your dose. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose. Drop the dose into water, juice, soda, or a semi-solid food such as applesauce or pudding. Stir the liquid or food gently for a few seconds. Immediately drink all of the liquid or eat all of the food containing the medicine. Do not save medicine mixed with food.
- If a dose is missed and you take it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised to by your doctor. If more than one dose is missed, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use lorazepam solution.
Important safety information:
- Lorazepam solution may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use lorazepam solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using lorazepam solution without first checking with your doctor; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Lorazepam solution may be habit forming if you take lorazepam solution in high doses or for a long time. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Lab tests, such as complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use lorazepam solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use lorazepam solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Lorazepam solution has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. Do not become pregnant while you are using it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using lorazepam solution while you are pregnant. Lorazepam solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking lorazepam solution.
Some people who use lorazepam solution for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you stop taking lorazepam solution suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include agitation, anxiety, irritability, occasional seizures, or sleeplessness may occur if lorazepam solution is suddenly stopped. If you need to stop lorazepam solution, your doctor will lower your dose over time.
Possible side effects of lorazepam solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Clumsiness; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; lightheadedness; unsteadiness; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); memory loss.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include clumsiness; confusion; deep sleep; loss of consciousness; slow reflexes.Proper storage of lorazepam solution:
Store lorazepam solution in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep lorazepam solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about lorazepam solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lorazepam solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take lorazepam solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about lorazepam solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to lorazepam solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using lorazepam solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.