Generic Name: levetiracetam (LEE-ve-tye-RA-se-tam)
Brand Name: Keppra
Levetiracetam solution is used for:
Treating partial-onset, myoclonic, or generalized tonic-clonic seizures in patients with epilepsy. It is used in combination with other medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Levetiracetam solution is an anticonvulsant. Exactly how it works is not known, but it may work by slowing abnormal nerve impulses in the brain.
Do NOT use levetiracetam solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in levetiracetam solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using levetiracetam solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with levetiracetam solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems or you are on dialysis
- if you have a history of mental or mood problems (eg, depression), or suicidal thoughts or actions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with levetiracetam solution. However, no specific interactions with levetiracetam solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if levetiracetam solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use levetiracetam solution:
Use levetiracetam solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Levetiracetam solution comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get levetiracetam solution refilled.
- Take levetiracetam solution by mouth with or without food.
- Levetiracetam solution works best if it is taken at the same time(s) each day.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Do not use a teaspoon. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Continue to take levetiracetam solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of levetiracetam solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use levetiracetam solution.
Important safety information:
- Levetiracetam solution may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use levetiracetam solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not suddenly stop taking levetiracetam solution or your other seizure medicines. You may have an increased risk of side effects (eg, seizures). If you need to stop levetiracetam solution, your doctor will gradually lower your dose.
- Contact your health care provider if your seizures become worse or if you have a new type of seizure.
- Patients who take levetiracetam solution may be at increased risk for suicidal thoughts or actions. The risk may be greater in patients who have had suicidal thoughts or actions in the past. Watch patients who take levetiracetam solution closely. Contact the doctor at once if new, worsened, or sudden symptoms such as depressed mood; anxious, restless, or irritable behavior; panic attacks; or any unusual changes in mood or behavior occur. Contact the doctor right away if any signs of suicidal thoughts or actions occur.
- Serious rashes have been reported with the use of levetiracetam solution. Most of the serious rashes that have occurred with the use of levetiracetam solution developed within the first 14 to 17 days after starting treatment. However, rashes have also been reported to occur at least 4 months after starting treatment. Contact your doctor at once if you develop rash symptoms, including red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin. Treatment with levetiracetam solution should be stopped if rash occurs, unless it is clearly determined that the medicine did not cause the rash. Talk with your doctor for more information.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use levetiracetam solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use levetiracetam solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- CHILDREN younger than 4 years old will need to have blood pressure checked often. Discuss any questions or concerns with the doctor.
- Caution is advised when using levetiracetam solution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially weakness and mood or behavior changes.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using levetiracetam solution while you are pregnant. Levetiracetam solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking levetiracetam solution.
Possible side effects of levetiracetam solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Cough; decreased appetite; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; irritability; nausea; nose or throat irritation; runny or stuffy nose; stuffy nose; tiredness; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); abnormal thoughts; dark urine; decreased coordination; extreme drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, or weakness; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; memory loss; new or worsening mental, mood, or behavior changes (eg, aggression, agitation, anger, anxiety, apathy, depression, hostility, irritability, panic attacks, restlessness); new or worsening seizures; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; severe or persistent headache; suicidal thoughts or attempts; trouble sleeping; unusual bruising or bleeding; vision changes; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of levetiracetam solution:
Store levetiracetam solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep levetiracetam solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about levetiracetam solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Levetiracetam solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take levetiracetam solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about levetiracetam solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to levetiracetam solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using levetiracetam solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about levetiracetam
- Levetiracetam extended-release tablets
- Levetiracetam tablets
- Levetiracetam (Advanced Reading)
- Levetiracetam Intravenous (Advanced Reading)