Isopto Hyoscine drops
Generic Name: scopolamine (skoe-PAHL-ah-meen)
Brand Name: Isopto Hyoscine
Isopto Hyoscine drops is used for:
Temporarily dilating the pupil and paralyzing certain parts of the eye for diagnostic procedures. It may be used before or after surgery to treat certain types of eye inflammation. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Isopto Hyoscine drops is an anticholinergic agent. It works by stopping the eye muscles from reacting to certain substances found in the body, which causes the pupil to dilate (widen).
Do NOT use Isopto Hyoscine drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Isopto Hyoscine drops
- you have glaucoma or you are at risk for glaucoma
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Isopto Hyoscine drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Isopto Hyoscine drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have nerve problems or difficulty urinating
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Isopto Hyoscine drops. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Phenothiazines (eg, thioridazine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Isopto Hyoscine drops
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Isopto Hyoscine drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Isopto Hyoscine drops:
Use Isopto Hyoscine drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Isopto Hyoscine drops is only for the eye. Do not get it in your nose or mouth.
- To use Isopto Hyoscine drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eyelid for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you miss a dose of Isopto Hyoscine drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Isopto Hyoscine drops.
Important safety information:
- Isopto Hyoscine drops may cause drowsiness or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Isopto Hyoscine drops with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Isopto Hyoscine drops may make your eyes more sensitive to sunlight. It may help to wear sunglasses.
- If you have an appointment for an eye examination and your doctor has told you that you will receive Isopto Hyoscine drops, be sure to make arrangements to have someone drive you home in case your vision is blurry.
- Isopto Hyoscine drops should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Isopto Hyoscine drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if Isopto Hyoscine drops is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Isopto Hyoscine drops.
Possible side effects of Isopto Hyoscine drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; burning, stinging, or redness; drowsiness; dry mouth; inflammation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; eye pain; eye pus; fever; flushing or dryness of the skin; irregular or rapid heartbeat; visual hallucinations.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Isopto Hyoscine drops may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Isopto Hyoscine drops:
Store Isopto Hyoscine drops at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Isopto Hyoscine drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Isopto Hyoscine drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Isopto Hyoscine drops is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Isopto Hyoscine drops or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Isopto Hyoscine drops. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Isopto Hyoscine drops. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Isopto Hyoscine drops.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.