Ionil Plus shampoo
Generic Name: salicylic acid (sal-ih-SILL-ik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include Ionil Plus and Neutrogena Healthy Scalp
Ionil Plus shampoo is used for:
Relieving scalp itching, flaking, irritation, redness, and scaling due to psoriasis or seborrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ionil Plus shampoo is a topical salicylate. It works by causing the skin to swell, soften, and then slough or peel in areas where it is applied.
Do NOT use Ionil Plus shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ionil Plus shampoo
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ionil Plus shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ionil Plus shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- if you have liver or kidney problems, a skin infection, skin irritation, diabetes, or poor blood circulation
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ionil Plus shampoo. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants, (eg, heparin, warfarin), aspirin, methotrexate, or sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide) because the risk of side effects may be increased by Ionil Plus shampoo
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ionil Plus shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ionil Plus shampoo:
Use Ionil Plus shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wet hair, apply Ionil Plus shampoo to scalp, and massage vigorously. Rinse and repeat. Be sure to wash your hands after each use.
- If you miss a dose of Ionil Plus shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ionil Plus shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Certain acne products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can rarely cause serious and sometimes life-threatening allergic reactions or severe irritation. Before first use, you may need to follow certain steps to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction. Use Ionil Plus shampoo as you were told by your doctor or read the package label. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Ionil Plus shampoo is for external use only. Avoid getting Ionil Plus shampoo in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or on the genitals. If contact with your eyes occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes. Do not inhale the vapors of Ionil Plus shampoo.
- Overuse of topical products may worsen your condition.
- Do not use Ionil Plus shampoo longer or more often than recommended by your doctor or on the package label.
- Check with your doctor before use if you have a condition that covers a large area of the body.
- Be sure to apply Ionil Plus shampoo only to the affected area and not to normal healthy skin.
- Do not use Ionil Plus shampoo on skin that is irritated, infected, or reddened.
- Do not use Ionil Plus shampoo on open skin wounds, moles, birthmarks, genital warts, warts on the face, or warts growing hair.
- Do not use any other medicines or drying products on your skin unless your doctor instructs you otherwise.
- Ionil Plus shampoo may interfere with certain lab test results. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Ionil Plus shampoo.
- Ionil Plus shampoo is extremely flammable. Do not store or use Ionil Plus shampoo near a fire or other open flame.
- Ionil Plus shampoo may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Ionil Plus shampoo by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Ionil Plus shampoo contains a salicylate, which has been linked to Reye syndrome. Do not use Ionil Plus shampoo on children or teenagers during or after chickenpox, flu, or other viral infections without checking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Use of Ionil Plus shampoo is not recommended in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age without a doctor's instructions.
- Caution is advised when using Ionil Plus shampoo in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ionil Plus shampoo during pregnancy. It is unknown if Ionil Plus shampoo is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while you are using Ionil Plus shampoo.
Possible side effects of Ionil Plus shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dry, peeling, red, or scaling skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; diarrhea; dizziness; loss of appetite; loss of hearing; mental disturbances; nausea; rapid or difficult breathing; ringing in the ears; seizures; sluggishness; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.Proper storage of Ionil Plus shampoo:
Store Ionil Plus shampoo at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ionil Plus shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ionil Plus shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ionil Plus shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ionil Plus shampoo or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ionil Plus shampoo. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ionil Plus shampoo. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ionil Plus shampoo.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Ionil Plus (salicylic acid topical)
- Other brands: Dermarest Psoriasis Skin Treatment, Compound W, Salex, Stridex Maximum Strength, More (51) »