Generic Name: ferrous fumarate/polysaccharide iron complex/folic acid/vitamin c/vitamin b3 (FER-us-FUE-ma-rate/PAHL-ee-SAAK-ah-ride EYE-urn/FOE-lik AS-id/VYE-ta-min C/VYE-ta-min B3)
Brand Name: Integra F
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or a doctor at once.
Integra F is used for:
Treating anemia caused by low levels of iron or folate in the blood. It is used during pregnancy to prevent and treat low levels of iron in the blood and to provide a maintenance dose of folic acid. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Integra F is an iron, vitamin, and folic acid combination. It works by providing iron and folic acid to the body.
Do NOT use Integra F if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Integra F
- you have high levels of iron in the blood (eg, hemochromatosis, hemosiderosis)
- you have hemolytic anemia or pernicious anemia
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Integra F:
Some medical conditions may interact with Integra F. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any other type of anemia
- if you have stomach or bowel problems (eg, Crohn disease, diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis, peptic ulcer), the blood disease porphyria, or other blood problems (eg, thalassemia)
- if you have a bleeding problem or have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Integra F. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluorouracil because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Integra F
- Doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Integra F
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Integra F may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Integra F:
Use Integra F as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Integra F by mouth on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take Integra F.
- If you also take a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), cefdinir, eltrombopag, methyldopa, a quinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin), or a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, minocycline), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with Integra F.
- If you miss a dose of Integra F, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Integra F.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use Integra F unless your doctor tells you to
- Integra F has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Integra F may darken the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Integra F may interfere with certain lab tests, such as tests used to check for blood in the stool. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Integra F.
- Lab tests, including blood tests and iron levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Integra F should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Integra F while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Integra F, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Integra F:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; heartburn; loss of appetite; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry, or bloody stools; severe or persistent stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions or need medical advice about side effects, contact your doctor or health care provider. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088) or at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry, or bloody stools; blue or unusually pale skin; coma; drowsiness; severe or persistent nausea or vomiting.Proper storage of Integra F:
Store Integra F at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Integra F out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Integra F, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Integra F is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Integra F or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Integra F. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Integra F. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Integra F.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More Integra F resources
- Integra F Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Allbee-C 800 with Iron Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- BiferaRx Prescribing Information (FDA)
- EnLyte Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Ferotrin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Ferralet 90 Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Ferrex 150 Forte Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Ferrex 150 Forte Plus Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Ferrex 28 Prescribing Information (FDA)
- FerroGels Forte Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Hematogen Forte Prescribing Information (FDA)
- HemeTab Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Integra Plus Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Irospan 24/6 Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Niron Komplete Prescribing Information (FDA)
- NovaFerrum Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Tricon Prescribing Information (FDA)