Generic Name: sodium hyaluronate (SOE-dee-um hye-a-loo-ROE-nate)
Brand Name: Hylira
Hylira gel is used for:
Treating dry, scaly skin.
Hylira gel is a mucopolysaccharide. It works by replacing a substance found in the skin.
Do NOT use Hylira gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Hylira gel
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Hylira gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Hylira gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Hylira gel. Because little, if any, of Hylira gel is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Hylira gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Hylira gel:
Use Hylira gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash your hands before and after using Hylira gel, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Apply a generous amount of medicine to the affected area and rub in well.
- If you miss a dose of Hylira gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Hylira gel.
Important safety information:
- Hylira gel is for external use only. Do not get Hylira gel in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Hylira gel in your eyes, rinse with cool water right away.
- Do not use Hylira gel for other skin conditions at a later time.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Hylira gel can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Hylira gel, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Hylira gel during pregnancy. It is unknown if Hylira gel is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Hylira gel, check with your doctor to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Hylira gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Hylira gel. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Hylira gel:
Store Hylira gel at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Hylira gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Hylira gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hylira gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Hylira gel or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Hylira gel. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Hylira gel. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Hylira gel.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.