Generic Name: clotrimazole (kloe-TRIM-a-zole)
Brand Name: Examples include Gyne-Lotrimin and Mycelex-7
Gyne-Lotrimin cream is used for:
Treating vaginal yeast infections and relieving external itching and irritation caused by yeast infections.
Gyne-Lotrimin cream is an antifungal agent. It works by weakening the cell membrane of the fungus, resulting in the death of the fungus.
Do NOT use Gyne-Lotrimin cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Gyne-Lotrimin cream
- you have never had a vaginal yeast infection diagnosed by a doctor
- you have itching caused by a condition other than a yeast infection
- you have stomach, shoulder, or lower back pain; fever; chills; nausea; foul-smelling vaginal discharge; or vomiting
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Gyne-Lotrimin cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Gyne-Lotrimin cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have the blood disease porphyria or a history of liver disease or diabetes, or you have been exposed to HIV
- if this is the first time you have had vaginal itching and discomfort
- if you have vaginal yeast infections often (eg, your symptoms return within 2 months) or your symptoms do not clear up with treatment
- if you are taking antibiotics
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Gyne-Lotrimin cream. However, no specific interactions with Gyne-Lotrimin cream are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Gyne-Lotrimin cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Gyne-Lotrimin cream:
Use Gyne-Lotrimin cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Gyne-Lotrimin cream. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Gyne-Lotrimin cream is for vaginal use only. Do not use in the eyes or take by mouth.
- Insert 1 applicatorful into the vagina at bedtime for 7 days.
- Some forms of this product come with 7 disposable applicators. If this product contains disposable applicators, throw away each applicator after use.
- Some forms of this product come with one applicator to be used for all 7 days of treatment. If this product contains only one applicator, do not throw it away after use. Separate the pieces of the applicator and wash with warm, soapy water immediately after use. Rinse thoroughly. Make sure the applicator is completely dry before the next use.
- If you are using this cream externally, squeeze a small amount onto your fingertip and gently apply to the irritated skin around the vagina.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Gyne-Lotrimin cream.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Gyne-Lotrimin cream for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Gyne-Lotrimin cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Gyne-Lotrimin cream.
Important safety information:
- Gyne-Lotrimin cream is for vaginal use only. Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Gyne-Lotrimin cream in your eyes, flush with a generous amount of cool water.
- Be sure to use Gyne-Lotrimin cream for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 3 days, if they last more than 7 days, or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Gyne-Lotrimin cream for itching caused by other conditions.
- Dry the outside vaginal area completely after showering, bathing, or swimming. Do not go swimming for at least 9 to 12 hours after applying Gyne-Lotrimin cream. Change out of wet bathing suits or damp workout clothes as soon as possible.
- Continue using Gyne-Lotrimin cream even during your menstrual period. Do not use tampons while you are using Gyne-Lotrimin cream or until all of your symptoms go away. Use unscented pads or pantiliners.
- Do not have vaginal sexual intercourse while you are using Gyne-Lotrimin cream.
- Gyne-Lotrimin cream may decrease the effectiveness of condoms and diaphragms, increasing the chance of pregnancy or risk of sexually transmitted disease.
- Do not use tampons, douches, spermicides, or other vaginal products while using Gyne-Lotrimin cream.
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Gyne-Lotrimin cream should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Gyne-Lotrimin cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Gyne-Lotrimin cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Gyne-Lotrimin cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild vaginal burning, irritation, or itching.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever or chills; foul-smelling vaginal discharge; nausea; severe or prolonged vaginal burning, irritation, or itching; stomach pain; swelling; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Gyne-Lotrimin cream:
Store Gyne-Lotrimin cream at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Avoid temperatures above 86 degrees F (30 degrees C). Avoid freezing. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not use if the wrapper on the applicator is torn or damaged. Keep Gyne-Lotrimin cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Gyne-Lotrimin cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gyne-Lotrimin cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Gyne-Lotrimin cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Gyne-Lotrimin cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Gyne-Lotrimin cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Gyne-Lotrimin cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Gyne-Lotrimin (clotrimazole topical)
- Other brands: Mycelex, Lotrimin AF Athlete's Foot Cream, Canesten, Lotrimin AF Jock Itch Cream, More (7) »