Gesticare DHA tablet
Generic Name: prenatal multivitamin without vitamin a with minerals, iron, and folic acid (pree-NATE-al VYE-ta-mins/MIN-er-als/EYE-urn/FOE-lik AS-id)
Brand Name: Gesticare DHA
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or doctor at once.
Gesticare DHA tablet is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Gesticare DHA tablet is a vitamin, mineral, iron, folic acid, and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) combination. It provides vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements.
Do NOT use Gesticare DHA tablet if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Gesticare DHA tablet, including fish or fish oil
- you have hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Gesticare DHA tablet:
Some medical conditions may interact with Gesticare DHA tablet. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), pernicious anemia or other blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria), bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), or peptic ulcer
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Gesticare DHA tablet. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by Gesticare DHA tablet
- ACE inhibitors (eg, captopril), eplerenone, or potassium-sparing diuretics because high blood potassium levels may be increased
- Aluminum salts, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or fluorouracil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Gesticare DHA tablet
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Gesticare DHA tablet may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Gesticare DHA tablet:
Use Gesticare DHA tablet as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Gesticare DHA tablet by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Gesticare DHA tablet by mouth with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take Gesticare DHA tablet.
- Avoid taking Gesticare DHA tablet with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Gesticare DHA tablet.
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, blood pressure, osteoporosis, thyroid problems) should not be taken at the same time as Gesticare DHA tablet; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of Gesticare DHA tablet should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Gesticare DHA tablet, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Gesticare DHA tablet.
Important safety information:
- Gesticare DHA tablet may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Gesticare DHA tablet has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Some brands of Gesticare DHA tablet may contain fish oil. If you have had an allergic reaction to fish or fish oil, ask your pharmacist if your brand contains fish oil.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Gesticare DHA tablet is intended for use during pregnancy and breast-feeding. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Gesticare DHA tablet, check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of Gesticare DHA tablet:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or discolored stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; seizure; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of Gesticare DHA tablet:
Store Gesticare DHA tablet at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Gesticare DHA tablet out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Gesticare DHA tablet, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Gesticare DHA tablet is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Gesticare DHA tablet or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Gesticare DHA tablet. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Gesticare DHA tablet. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Gesticare DHA tablet.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.