Generic Name: flutamide (FLEW-tuh-mide)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Flutamide may cause serious, even life-threatening, liver problems. Tell your doctor if you have a history of liver disease. Notify your doctor immediately if you develop nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite, fever, yellowing eyes or skin, dark urine, or unusual fatigue. Laboratory tests (eg, liver function tests) should be performed before and during use of flutamide. Your doctor will be monitoring your treatment closely.
Flutamide is used for:
Treating prostate cancer, along with other medicines. Flutamide is not intended for use in women.
Flutamide is an anti-androgen. It works by interfering with antigen activity in the prostate, which stops tumor growth and allows the tumor to shrink.
Do NOT use flutamide if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in flutamide
- you are female
- you have severe liver disease
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using flutamide:
Some medical conditions may interact with flutamide. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have blood or blood sugar problems, liver problems, or you smoke
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with flutamide. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Blood thinners (eg, warfarin) because the actions and side effects may be increased by flutamide
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if flutamide may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use flutamide:
Use flutamide as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Flutamide may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take flutamide with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Flutamide comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get flutamide refilled.
- If you miss a dose of flutamide, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use flutamide.
Important safety information:
- Flutamide may cause diarrhea. Do not use laxatives while using flutamide, unless directed by your doctor. If diarrhea occurs, ask your doctor or pharmacist to recommend a treatment for you.
- LAB TESTS, such as liver function tests, may be required to monitor treatment or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Flutamide is not recommended for use in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Flutamide is not recommended for use in women.
Possible side effects of flutamide:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blood in the urine; breast growth; decreased sex drive or ability; diarrhea; hot flashes; inflamed prostate; nausea; rash; rectal bleeding; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); brown urine; flu-like symptoms; impotence; loss of appetite; muscle aches or soreness; nausea; severe diarrhea; stomach pain/tenderness; unusual tiredness; vomiting; yellowing of skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include decreased activity; goose bumps; loss of appetite; slow breathing; tearing; trouble walking; vomiting.Proper storage of flutamide:
Store flutamide at room temperature, 59 to 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep flutamide out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about flutamide, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Flutamide is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take flutamide or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about flutamide. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to flutamide. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using flutamide.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about flutamide
- Other brands: Eulexin