Generic Name: sertaconazole (SIR-tuh-CON-ah-zole)
Brand Name: Ertaczo
Ertaczo is used for:
Treating athlete's foot infection that occurs between the toes in patients with a healthy immune system. Ertaczo may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ertaczo is an imidazole antifungal. It works by blocking the formation of the fungal cell wall, which results in the death of the fungus.
Do NOT use Ertaczo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ertaczo or to other imidazoles (eg, ketoconazole)
- you have a weakened immune system
- the skin in the area to be treated is irritated for other reasons
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ertaczo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ertaczo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ertaczo. Because little, if any, of Ertaczo is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ertaczo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ertaczo:
Use Ertaczo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clean and dry the affected area before applying the medicine.
- Gently rub the medicine until it is evenly distributed to the affected area and to a small section of healthy skin that surrounds the area.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Ertaczo.
- Ertaczo is for use on the skin only. Avoid getting Ertaczo in your eyes, nose, vagina, or mouth.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Ertaczo for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Ertaczo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ertaczo.
Important safety information:
- If your condition does not improve in 2 weeks or if it becomes worse, contact your doctor for instructions.
- Overuse of topical products may worsen your condition.
- Do not use Ertaczo for any condition other than the one for which it was prescribed.
- Ertaczo is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ertaczo during pregnancy. It is unknown if Ertaczo is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Ertaczo, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ertaczo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dry skin; skin tenderness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistering, irritation, oozing, peeling, redness, scaling, shedding, or swelling of the affected area; darkening of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Ertaczo:
Store Ertaczo at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Ertaczo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ertaczo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ertaczo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ertaczo or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ertaczo. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ertaczo. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ertaczo.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.