Generic Name: amino acid-based nutritional supplement (a-MEE-no AS-id nu-TRISH-un-al SUP-le-ment)
Brand Name: Elecare
Elecare is used for:
Providing nutrition in certain patients with severe food allergies or other conditions such as eosinophilic GI disorders (EGID), short bowel syndrome, or malabsorption in which an amino acid-based diet is required.
Elecare is a nutritionally complete amino acid-based medical food. It provides nutrition for certain patients who cannot tolerate intact or hydrolyzed protein.
Do NOT use Elecare if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Elecare
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Elecare:
Some medical conditions may interact with Elecare. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Elecare. However, no specific interactions with Elecare are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Elecare may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Elecare:
Use Elecare as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Elecare may be taken by mouth or through a feeding tube.
- Elecare must be mixed with water before you take it.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use the measuring scoop provided with Elecare. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to mix Elecare.
- If you miss a dose of Elecare, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Elecare.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use Elecare unless your doctor tells you to.
- Do not change brands of Elecare without talking to your doctor. Products made by other companies may not work as well for you.
- Diabetes patients - Some brands of Elecare may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Keep all doctor and lab appointments while you use Elecare.
- Before you start any new medicine, either prescription or over-the-counter, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Elecare while you are pregnant. It is not known if Elecare is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Elecare, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Elecare:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Elecare:
Store unopened cans of Elecare at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Once mixed, store Elecare in the refrigerator, between 35 and 40 degrees F (2 and 4 degrees C) and use within 24 hours. Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Use opened can contents within 1 month. Keep Elecare out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Elecare, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Elecare is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Elecare or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Elecare. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Elecare. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Elecare.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.