Generic Name: minocycline (MIN-oh-SYE-kleen)
Brand Name: Examples include Dynacin and Minocin
Dynacin capsules are used for:
Treating certain infections. It may also be used with other medicines to treat severe acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dynacin capsules are a tetracycline antibiotic. It works by slowing the growth of certain bacteria and allowing the body's immune system to kill them.
Do NOT use Dynacin capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dynacin capsules or to other tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline)
- you are taking acitretin, isotretinoin, or a penicillin antibiotic (eg, amoxicillin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dynacin capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dynacin capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have asthma, kidney or liver problems, or an autoimmune disorder (eg, lupus)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dynacin capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Medicines that may harm the liver (eg, acetaminophen, methotrexate, ketoconazole, isoniazid, certain medicines for HIV infection) because the risk of liver side effects may be increased. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines might harm the liver
- Acitretin or isotretinoin because the risk of increased pressure in the brain may be increased
- Aluminum salts (eg, carbonate) or cimetidine because they may decrease Dynacin capsules's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or ergot alkaloids (eg, ergotamine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Dynacin capsules
- Penicillin antibiotics(eg, amoxicillin) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Dynacin capsules
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dynacin capsules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dynacin capsules:
Use Dynacin capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Dynacin capsules. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Some brands of Dynacin capsules must be swallowed whole. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if your medicine is a brand that must be swallowed whole.
- Take Dynacin capsules by mouth with or without food.
- Take Dynacin capsules with a full glass of water (8 oz [240 mL]). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Dynacin capsules.
- If you also take antacids containing aluminum, calcium, or magnesium; bismuth salts (eg, bismuth subsalicylate); colestipol; iron salts (eg, iron sulfate); urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate); sucralfate; vitamins or minerals; quinapril; didanosine; or zinc salts (eg, zinc sulfate), do not take them within 2 to 3 hours before or after taking Dynacin capsules. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Dynacin capsules for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Dynacin capsules works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- If you miss a dose of Dynacin capsules, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dynacin capsules.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Dynacin capsules before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Dynacin capsules may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or light-headedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Dynacin capsules with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Dynacin capsules may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Dynacin capsules. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Long-term or repeated use of Dynacin capsules may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Dynacin capsules only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly reaction has happened with Dynacin capsules. Most of the time, this reaction has signs like fever, rash, or swollen glands with problems in body organs like the liver, kidney, blood, heart, muscles and joints, or lungs. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Raised pressure in the brain has happened with Dynacin capsules. Most of the time, this problem will go back to normal after Dynacin capsules are stopped. Sometimes, vision loss may happen and may not go away even after Dynacin capsules are stopped. Call your doctor right away if you have a headache or vision problems (eg, blurred vision, double vision, vision loss).
- Be sure to use Dynacin capsules for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Dynacin capsules. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Dynacin capsules may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Dynacin capsules.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Dynacin capsules. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Dynacin capsules should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 8 years old unless other medicines cannot be used or have not worked. Using Dynacin capsules in CHILDREN younger than 8 years old or in women during the last half of pregnancy may cause a permanent change in the tooth coloring of the child. Discuss any questions or concerns with the doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Dynacin capsules may cause harm to the fetus. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dynacin capsules while you are pregnant. Dynacin capsules are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dynacin capsules.
Possible side effects of Dynacin capsules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; indigestion; light-headedness; loss of appetite; nausea; sore mouth, throat, or tongue; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); change in the amount of urine produced; decreased hearing; fever, chills, or sore throat; joint pain; muscle pain or weakness; pain, redness, swelling, or white patches in the mouth; rectal or genital irritation; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; redness or swelling of the gums; ringing in the ears; seizures; shortness of breath or wheezing; swollen glands; symptoms of liver problems (eg, yellowing of the skin or eyes; dark urine; pale stools; persistent nausea, stomach pain, or loss of appetite); symptoms of pancreatitis (eg, severe stomach or back pain with or without nausea or vomiting); trouble swallowing; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vaginal irritation or discharge.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Dynacin capsules:
Store Dynacin capsules at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed, light-resistant container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dynacin capsules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dynacin capsules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dynacin capsules are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Dynacin capsules or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Dynacin capsules. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Dynacin capsules. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Dynacin capsules.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.