Generic Name: doxylamine (dox-IL-a-meen)
Brand Name: Doxytex
Doxytex liquid is used for:
Treating symptoms of allergies, such as runny nose, sneezing, nose or throat itching, or itchy, watery eyes. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Doxytex liquid is an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which reduces the symptoms of an allergic reaction. It also depresses the central nervous system (brain) to produce drowsiness.
Do NOT use Doxytex liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Doxytex liquid or to any other similar medicine
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) in the past 2 weeks
- you are breast-feeding
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Doxytex liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Doxytex liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung disease, shortness of breath, or sleep apnea
- if you have blockage of the stomach, intestine, or urinary tract; difficulty urinating; or a history of diabetes, ulcers, enlargement of the prostate, glaucoma, heart disease, high blood pressure, the blood disease porphyria, seizures, stroke, or thyroid disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Doxytex liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because an increase in sleep duration and a decrease in the ability to breathe are likely to occur
- Furazolidone or MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because serious side effects, such as high blood pressure and seizures, may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Doxytex liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Doxytex liquid:
Use Doxytex liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Doxytex liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Use Doxytex liquid exactly as directed on the package, unless instructed differently by your doctor.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Doxytex liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Doxytex liquid.
Important safety information:
- Doxytex liquid may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Doxytex liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while you are taking Doxytex liquid. Talk with your doctor before using other medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Doxytex liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Doxytex liquid may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not become overheated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur.
- Doxytex liquid has doxylamine in it. Before you start any new medicine, including one used on the skin, check the label to see if it has doxylamine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Doxytex liquid may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Doxytex liquid for a few days before the tests.
- Use Doxytex liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially dizziness, sedation, and lightheadedness upon standing.
- Do not use Doxytex liquid in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old without talking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Caution is advised when using Doxytex liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Doxytex liquid while you are pregnant. Doxytex liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Doxytex liquid.
Possible side effects of Doxytex liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, throat, and nose.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); convulsions; decreased alertness; decreased urination; excitability; fast heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe drowsiness; tightness or pounding in the chest; tremor; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include coma; excitement; hallucinations; loss of consciousness; muscle twitching; seizures; tremor; weakness.Proper storage of Doxytex liquid:
Store Doxytex liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), or according to the directions on the package label. Store in the original package or container away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Doxytex liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Doxytex liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Doxytex liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Doxytex liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Doxytex liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Doxytex liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Doxytex liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.