Doak Tar shampoo
Generic Name: coal tar (kohl tar)
Brand Name: Examples include Doak Tar and Ionil T
Doak Tar shampoo is used for:
Relieving itching, scaling, dryness, and flaking of the skin due to dandruff, psoriasis, and seborrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Doak Tar shampoo is a keratolytic. It works by slowing bacterial growth and loosing and softening scales and crust.
Do NOT use Doak Tar shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Doak Tar shampoo
- you have a condition that makes you sensitive to sunlight (eg, lupus, allergy to sunlight)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Doak Tar shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Doak Tar shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are using any other treatment for psoriasis, including ultraviolet radiation or a prescription medicine
- if you have eczema
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Doak Tar shampoo. However, no specific interactions with Doak Tar shampoo are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Doak Tar shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Doak Tar shampoo:
Use Doak Tar shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wet the scalp and hair. Apply the medicine to the scalp, massage into a lather, and allow it to remain on the scalp for 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and repeat.
- Wash your hands after using Doak Tar shampoo.
- If you miss a dose of Doak Tar shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Doak Tar shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Avoid getting Doak Tar shampoo in your eyes, nose, and mouth. If you get Doak Tar shampoo in your eyes, immediately wash them out with cool tap water.
- Doak Tar shampoo may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Doak Tar shampoo by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Do not use Doak Tar shampoo on open, raw, inflamed, or infected skin.
- Do not use Doak Tar shampoo in or around the genital area, groin, or rectum unless you doctor tells you otherwise.
- Do not use Doak Tar shampoo over a large area of your body without first talking to your doctor.
- Do not use Doak Tar shampoo for a prolonged period of time without consulting your doctor.
- Doak Tar shampoo may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Doak Tar shampoo. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Doak Tar shampoo may stain hair, skin, and clothing.
- Do not use soap, detergent, or other shampoo on your hair before or after using Doak Tar shampoo.
- Use Doak Tar shampoo with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Doak Tar shampoo during pregnancy. It is unknown if Doak Tar shampoo is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast feeding while you are using Doak Tar shampoo, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Doak Tar shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Itching, burning, tenderness, or redness; sensitivity to sunlight.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Doak Tar shampoo:
Store Doak Tar shampoo at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Doak Tar shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Doak Tar shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Doak Tar shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Doak Tar shampoo or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Doak Tar shampoo. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Doak Tar shampoo. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Doak Tar shampoo.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.