Generic Name: dimethicone (dye-METH-i-kone)
Brand Name: Little Bottoms Daily Care Spray
Dimethicone spray is used for:
Temporarily protecting and relieving minor skin irritations (eg, diaper rash). It also helps to seal out wetness. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by the patient's doctor.
This product is a skin protectant. It works by relieving skin irritation and reducing redness.
Do NOT use dimethicone spray if:
- the patient is allergic to any ingredient in dimethicone spray
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if this applies to the patient.
Before using dimethicone spray:
Tell the patient's health care provider if the patient has any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply:
- if the patient is pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or is breast-feeding
- if the patient is taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if the patient has allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with dimethicone spray. However, no specific interactions with dimethicone spray are known at this time.
Ask the patient's health care provider if dimethicone spray may interact with other medicines that the patient takes. Check with the patient's health care provider before the patients starts, stops, or changes the dose of any medicine.
How to use dimethicone spray:
Use dimethicone spray as directed by the patient's doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cleanse the diaper area and gently pat dry.
- Spray dimethicone spray onto the affected area as directed by the patient's doctor or on the package label.
- Wash your hands immediately after using dimethicone spray.
- Apply during each diaper change, especially at bedtime or any time that exposure to a wet diaper may be prolonged.
- If you miss a dose of dimethicone spray, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by the patient's doctor or on the package label.
Ask the patient's health care provider any questions you may have about how to use dimethicone spray.
Important safety information:
- Dimethicone spray is for external use only. Do not get it in the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do not use dimethicone spray on animal bites, deep wounds, infections, lacerations, or serious burns.
- If symptoms do not get better within 7 days, if they get worse, or if they clear up and then come back, check with the patient's doctor.
- Talk with the patient's doctor before you use any other medicines on the treated area.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If the patient becomes pregnant, contact her doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using dimethicone spray while the patient is pregnant. It is not known if dimethicone spray is found in breast milk. If the patient is or will be breast-feeding while she uses dimethicone spray, check with her doctor. Discuss any possible risks to her baby.
Possible side effects of dimethicone spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with dimethicone spray. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); new or worsening skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact the patient's health care provider. Call the patient's doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Dimethicone spray may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of dimethicone spray:
Store dimethicone spray at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not freeze. Keep dimethicone spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about dimethicone spray, please talk with the patient's doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dimethicone spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If the patient's symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with the patient's doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take dimethicone spray or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about dimethicone spray. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to dimethicone spray. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using dimethicone spray.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about emollients topical
- Dimethicone cream
- Dimethicone liquid
- Hydrating Foam
- Hydrating topical foam
- Hydrating topical lotion
- More (4) »