Generic Name: digoxin immune fab (di-JOX-in)
Brand Name: Digibind and DigiFab
DigiFab is used for:
Treating severe, possibly life-threatening digoxin or digitoxin overdose.
DigiFab is an antidote for digoxin toxicity. It works by binding to digoxin and preventing it from working in the body.
Do NOT use DigiFab if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in DigiFab
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using DigiFab:
Some medical conditions may interact with DigiFab. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to antibiotics, papain, chymopapain, or papaya extracts
- if you have previously received any medicines made from sheep
- if you have kidney problems, heart problems (eg, heart failure, atrial fibrillation), or abnormal blood potassium levels
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with DigiFab. However, no specific interactions with DigiFab are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if DigiFab may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use DigiFab:
Use DigiFab as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- DigiFab is given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- If you miss a dose of DigiFab, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use DigiFab.
Important safety information:
- DigiFab may interfere with certain lab tests, including blood digitalis levels. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using DigiFab.
- LAB TESTS, including blood digoxin, digitoxin, or potassium levels, may be performed while you use DigiFab. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use DigiFab with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if DigiFab can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using DigiFab while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use DigiFab, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of DigiFab:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with DigiFab. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fast or irregular heartbeat; fever.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of DigiFab:
DigiFab is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using DigiFab at home, store DigiFab as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep DigiFab out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about DigiFab, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- DigiFab is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take DigiFab or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about DigiFab. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to DigiFab. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using DigiFab.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about DigiFab (digoxin immune fab)
- Other brands: Digibind