Derma-Smoothe/ FS Body Oil
Generic Name: fluocinolone (FLOO-oh-SIN-oh-lone)
Brand Name: Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil and Derma-Smoothe/FS Scalp Oil
Derma-Smoothe/ FS Body Oil is used for:
Treating certain inflammatory conditions of the skin. The body oil is used to treat inflammation of the skin. The scalp oil is used to treat psoriasis of the scalp. Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil is a topical corticosteroid. Exactly how it works is unknown.
Do NOT use Derma-Smoothe/ FS Body Oil if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Derma-Smoothe/ FS Body Oil:
Some medical conditions may interact with Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to peanuts
- if you have measles, chickenpox, or tuberculosis
- if you have hardening or thinning of the skin, or a skin infection
- if you have recently been vaccinated or you have had a positive tuberculin skin test
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil. Because little, if any, of Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Derma-Smoothe/ FS Body Oil:
Use Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use the body oil in adults: Apply a thin layer of Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil to the affected area 3 times a day or as directed by your doctor.
- To use the body oil in children: Moisten the affected area, and then apply a thin layer of Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil twice a day for up to 4 weeks or as directed by your doctor.
- To use the scalp oil: Wet or dampen hair and scalp thoroughly, and then apply a thin layer of Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil to the scalp. Massage the scalp well, and then cover the scalp with 1 of the shower caps provided. Leave the medicine on overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours before you wash it off of the scalp. Wash your hair with regular shampoo and rinse it thoroughly.
- Wash your hands after applying Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil, unless your hands are part of treated area.
- If you miss a dose of Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil.
Important safety information:
- Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes. If you get Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil in your eyes, wash them right away with water.
- Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil contains refined peanut oil. However, Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil has not been known to cause an allergic reaction in patients who have a peanut allergy. If you are allergic to peanuts and have questions about using Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil, check with your doctor.
- If your condition does not improve within 2 weeks or if it gets worse, contact your doctor.
- Do not use Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil on the face, under the arms, or on the groin unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil for any conditions other than the one for which it was prescribed.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while using Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil.
- Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil is not approved to treat diaper rash. Do not apply Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil to the diaper area of a child.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil.
- The body oil should not be used in children younger than 3 months old. The scalp oil should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old. Safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Derma-Smoothe/ FS Body Oil:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with the scalp oil after topical use. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Cough; lightening of the skin; mild fever; nose or throat inflammation; runny nose.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; irritation, burning, redness, or swelling not present before using Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil:
Store Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Derma-Smoothe/FS Body Oil.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.