Generic Name: pyrithione zinc (peer-i-THYE-one ZINK)
Brand Name: Examples include Denorex and Dermazinc
Denorex shampoo is used for:
Treating and preventing itching, flaking, and scaling of the scalp caused by dandruff or seborrhea (oily, crusting, or scaling skin).
Denorex shampoo is an antiseborrheic. It works by slowing the production of skin cells, which helps to reduce flakiness.
Do NOT use Denorex shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Denorex shampoo
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Denorex shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Denorex shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a condition that covers a large area of the body
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Denorex shampoo. Because little, if any, of Denorex shampoo is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Denorex shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Denorex shampoo:
Use Denorex shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Wet hair thoroughly. Apply Denorex shampoo and work into a lather. Rinse thoroughly and repeat.
- For best results, use Denorex shampoo at least 2 times per week or as directed by your doctor. Do not use more often than once daily.
- If you miss a dose of Denorex shampoo, use the dose when you remember. Continue to use Denorex shampoo as directed by your doctor or the package labeling.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Denorex shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Denorex shampoo is for external use only. Do not get Denorex shampoo in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Denorex shampoo in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool water.
- If your symptoms do not improve with regular use or if they become worse, consult your doctor.
- Different brands of Denorex shampoo may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN on the package labeling. Follow the dosing instructions provided on the package labeling or by your doctor. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Use of Denorex shampoo is not recommended in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age without checking with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Denorex shampoo, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Denorex shampoo during pregnancy. It is unknown if Denorex shampoo is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Denorex shampoo, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Denorex shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Denorex shampoo. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Denorex shampoo may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Denorex shampoo:
Store Denorex shampoo at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Denorex shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Denorex shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Denorex shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Denorex shampoo or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Denorex shampoo. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Denorex shampoo. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Denorex shampoo.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about pyrithione zinc topical
- Antiseborrheic cream
- Pyrithione zinc conditioner
- Pyrithione zinc shampoo
- Pyrithione Topical (Advanced Reading)