Generic Name: tranexamic acid (tran-ex-AM-ik ASS-id)
Brand Name: Cyklokapron
Cyklokapron tablet is used for:
Short-term use (2 to 8 days) for reducing or preventing excessive bleeding and reducing the need for blood clotting factor transfusions during or after tooth extractions in patients with hemophilia.
Cyklokapron tablet is an antifibrinolytic agent. It works by blocking the breakdown of blood clots.
Do NOT use Cyklokapron tablet if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cyklokapron tablet
- you have blood clots, bleeding within the brain, or eye problems (retinal disease)
- you are colorblind
- you are using factor IX complex concentrates or anti-inhibitor coagulant concentrates
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cyklokapron tablet:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cyklokapron tablet. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney disease, upper respiratory tract bleeding, certain blood problems (disseminated intravascular coagulation [DIC]), or a history of blood clots
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cyklokapron tablet. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anti-inhibitor coagulant concentrates, factor IX complex concentrates, or tretinoin because risk of blood clots may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cyklokapron tablet may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cyklokapron tablet:
Use Cyklokapron tablet as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cyklokapron tablet may be taken with or without food.
- Continue to use Cyklokapron tablet for the full course of treatment even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Cyklokapron tablet, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cyklokapron tablet.
Important safety information:
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Cyklokapron tablet.
- LAB TESTS, including eye exams, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Cyklokapron tablet with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Cyklokapron tablet, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Cyklokapron tablet during pregnancy. Cyklokapron tablet is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Cyklokapron tablet, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Cyklokapron tablet:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; giddiness; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); calf pain, swelling, or tenderness; changes in vision (disturbance of color, sharpness, or field of vision); chest pain; decreased urination; one-sided weakness; severe headache; shortness of breath; speech problems.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dizziness on standing; lightheadedness; severe nausea or vomiting.Proper storage of Cyklokapron tablet:
Store Cyklokapron tablet at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cyklokapron tablet out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cyklokapron tablet, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cyklokapron tablet is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Cyklokapron tablet. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Cyklokapron (tranexamic acid)
- Other brands: Lysteda