Generic Name: cyclopentolate/phenylephrine (sigh-kloe-PEN-toe-late/fen-ill-EFF-rin)
Brand Name: Cyclomydril
Cyclopentolate/ phenylephrine is used for:
Dilating (widening) the pupil before an eye exam or eye surgery.
Cyclopentolate/phenylephrine is an anticholinergic and decongestant combination. It works by relaxing the muscles of the eye, which causes the pupils to widen. It also prevents the eye from focusing on near objects (cycloplegia).
Do NOT use cyclopentolate/ phenylephrine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in cyclopentolate/phenylephrine
- you have untreated narrow-angle glaucoma
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using cyclopentolate/ phenylephrine:
Some medical conditions may interact with cyclopentolate/phenylephrine. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are on high blood pressure therapy
- if you have numbness due to nerve damage, difficulty urinating due to a bladder neck blockage, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, an overactive thyroid, an increased risk for angle-closure glaucoma, or open-angle glaucoma
- if you have Down syndrome
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with cyclopentolate/phenylephrine. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbachol, cholinesterase inhibitors (eg, demecarium), or pilocarpine used in the eye because their effectiveness may be decreased by cyclopentolate/phenylephrine
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if cyclopentolate/phenylephrine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use cyclopentolate/ phenylephrine:
Use cyclopentolate/phenylephrine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cyclopentolate/phenylephrine is for use in the eye only. Avoid contact with other mucous membranes (eg, mouth, nose).
- To use cyclopentolate/phenylephrine, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them. To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including your eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you are using cyclopentolate/phenylephrine in a child's eye, do not get any medicine in the child's mouth. Wash the child's hands and your own after using to remove a ny medicine that may be on them.
- If you miss a dose of cyclopentolate/phenylephrine, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use cyclopentolate/phenylephrine.
Important safety information:
- Do not drive or engage in other hazardous activities while the pupils are dilated.
- Cyclopentolate/phenylephrine may cause your eyes to become sensitive to sunlight. Wearing sunglasses may help.
- Caution is advised when using cyclopentolate/phenylephrine in young CHILDREN and INFANTS because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially behavioral changes, clumsiness, hallucinations, restlessness, and seizures. Feeding intolerance may also occur in infants. It is recommended to delay feeding until 4 hours after the examination or procedure.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using cyclopentolate/phenylephrine during pregnancy. It is unknown if cyclopentolate/phenylephrine is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using cyclopentolate/phenylephrine, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of cyclopentolate/ phenylephrine:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; burning/irritation; decreased saliva and sweat; dry mouth or nose; sensitivity to sunlight.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in behavior; clumsiness; difficulty speaking/walking; difficulty urinating; disorientation; eye inflammation; fast heartbeat; hallucinations; hyperactivity; increased pressure in the eye; psychotic behavior; restlessness; seizures; slurred speech.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; change in behavior; difficulty urinating; dry mouth; fast heartbeat; fever.Proper storage of cyclopentolate/phenylephrine:
Store cyclopentolate/phenylephrine between 46 and 80 degrees F (8 and 27 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep cyclopentolate/phenylephrine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about cyclopentolate/phenylephrine, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cyclopentolate/phenylephrine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take cyclopentolate/phenylephrine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about cyclopentolate/phenylephrine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to cyclopentolate/phenylephrine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using cyclopentolate/phenylephrine.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about cyclopentolate/phenylephrine ophthalmic
- Other brands: Cyclomydril