Generic Name: colestipol (koe-LES-ti-pol)
Brand Name: Colestid
Colestid granules is used for:
Lowering blood cholesterol levels. It is used along with changes in diet.
Colestid granules is a bile acid sequestrant. It works in the bowel to help remove bile acids from the body. The body then uses cholesterol to make more bile acids. This causes blood cholesterol levels to decrease.
Do NOT use Colestid granules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Colestid granules
- you have severe constipation, bile blockage or drainage problems, certain types of high blood lipid levels, or hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis (a type of high blood acid level)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Colestid granules:
Some medical conditions may interact with Colestid granules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have constipation, hemorrhoids, or problems swallowing, or if you choke easily
- if you have heart disease, blood problems (eg, bleeding or clotting problems), high blood triglyceride levels, kidney or liver problems, underactive thyroid, or phenylketonuria
- if you cannot absorb nutrients properly into your body
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Colestid granules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) because their effectiveness may be altered by Colestid granules
- Chlorothiazide, digoxin, furosemide, gemfibrozil, hydrochlorothiazide, mycophenolate or mycophenolic acid, oral hydrocortisone, oral phosphate supplements, penicillin, or tetracycline because their effectiveness may be decreased by Colestid granules
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Colestid granules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Colestid granules:
Use Colestid granules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Colestid granules by mouth with or without food.
- Do not take Colestid granules in its dry form. Always mix Colestid granules as directed before you take it.
- Add the prescribed amount of medicine to a glassful (at least 3 oz [90 mL]) of water or other liquid. Stir until all the medicine is completely mixed. The medicine will not dissolve completely. Drink all the liquid, then rinse the glass with an additional small amount of liquid and drink the contents to be sure the entire dose is taken.
- You may mix Colestid granules with soda or other carbonated drinks; however, this may be more likely to cause stomach upset.
- You may also mix Colestid granules in soups with high fluid content, pulpy fruits (eg, crushed pineapple, pears, peaches, fruit cocktail), or in milk with hot or cold cereals.
- Take any other medicines at least 1 hour before or 4 hours after you take Colestid granules.
- Drinking extra fluids and making sure you get enough fiber is recommended while you are taking Colestid granules. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Continue to take Colestid granules even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Colestid granules, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Colestid granules.
Important safety information:
- Colestid granules may cause dizziness or light-headedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Colestid granules with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Follow the diet and exercise program given to you by your health care provider.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If severe or persistent constipation occurs, ask your doctor about taking a stool softener while you take Colestid granules.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Lab tests, including blood cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels, may be performed while you use Colestid granules. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Colestid granules should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Colestid granules can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Colestid granules while you are pregnant. It is not known if Colestid granules is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Colestid granules, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Colestid granules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bloating; constipation; diarrhea; gas; heartburn; indigestion; loose stools; nausea; stomach pain or cramping; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the stools; chest pressure or discomfort; irregular heartbeat; muscle weakness; severe constipation; trouble swallowing; unusual bruising or bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch .
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Colestid granules:
Store Colestid granules at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Colestid granules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Colestid granules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Colestid granules is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Colestid granules or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Colestid granules. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Colestid granules. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Colestid granules.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.