Clioquinol/ hydrocortisone cream
Generic Name: clioquinol/hydrocortisone (klye-oh-KWIN-ole/hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone)
Brand Name: Ala-Quin
Clioquinol/ hydrocortisone cream is used for:
Treating skin inflammation and itching due to certain skin conditions, including eczema.
Clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream is an anti-infective and corticosteroid combination. The anti-infective works by killing sensitive bacteria or fungi. The corticosteroid works by reducing skin inflammation (eg, redness, swelling, itching, irritation).
Do NOT use clioquinol/ hydrocortisone cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream, including iodine
- you have tuberculosis of the skin or viral conditions of the skin (eg, cold sores or other herpes simplex infection, vaccinia, chickenpox, shingles)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using clioquinol/ hydrocortisone cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any kind of skin infection, cuts, scrapes, thinning of the skin, or lessened blood flow to skin
- if you have had a recent vaccination; have measles or tuberculosis; or have had a positive tuberculosis test
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream. Because little, if any, of clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use clioquinol/ hydrocortisone cream:
Use clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Before using clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream, thoroughly wash the affected area with soap and water. Gently dry.
- Apply a thin film of medicine to the affected area and rub in gently until it is evenly distributed.
- Wash your hands immediately after using clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not cover or wrap the treated area unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream.
Important safety information:
- Clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool tap water.
- If clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream was prescribed to treat the diaper area of a child, avoid using tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Avoid getting clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream on clothes and linens because it will stain them. Clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream may also stain your skin.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream for other skin conditions at a later time without first checking with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine while using clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream.
- Clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream.
- Clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of clioquinol/ hydrocortisone cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, irritation, or peeling not present before you began using clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream:
Store clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about clioquinol/hydrocortisone topical
- Clioquinol/hydrocortisone cream and hydrating serum kit
- Clioquinol and hydrocortisone topical
- Clioquinol and hydrocortisone Topical (Advanced Reading)