CitraNatal 90 DHA
Generic Name: prenatal multivitamin without vitamin a with minerals, iron, folic acid, and docusate sodium (pree-NATE-al MUL-tye-VYE-ta-mins/VYE-ta-min A/MIN-er-als/EYE-urn/FOE-lik AS-id/DOK-ue-sate SOE-dee-um)
Brand Name: Examples include CitraNatal Assure and CitraNatal 90 DHA
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call your local poison control center or your doctor at once.
CitraNatal 90 DHA is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
CitraNatal 90 DHA is a vitamin, mineral, iron, folic acid, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and stool softener combination. It works by providing vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements. The stool softener helps prevent constipation that may occur with iron products.
Do NOT use CitraNatal 90 DHA if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in CitraNatal 90 DHA, including fish or fish oil
- you have hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using CitraNatal 90 DHA:
Some medical conditions may interact with CitraNatal 90 DHA. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), pernicious anemia or other blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria), bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), or peptic ulcer
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with CitraNatal 90 DHA. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by CitraNatal 90 DHA
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, captopril), eplerenone, or potassium-sparing diuretics because high blood potassium levels may be increased
- Aluminum salts, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or fluorouracil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by CitraNatal 90 DHA
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if CitraNatal 90 DHA may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use CitraNatal 90 DHA:
Use CitraNatal 90 DHA as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take CitraNatal 90 DHA by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take CitraNatal 90 DHA by mouth with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take CitraNatal 90 DHA.
- Avoid taking CitraNatal 90 DHA with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in CitraNatal 90 DHA.
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, blood pressure, osteoporosis, thyroid problems) should not be taken at the same time as CitraNatal 90 DHA; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of CitraNatal 90 DHA should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of CitraNatal 90 DHA, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use CitraNatal 90 DHA.
Important safety information:
- CitraNatal 90 DHA may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- CitraNatal 90 DHA has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Some brands of CitraNatal 90 DHA may contain fish oil. If you have had an allergic reaction to fish or fish oil, ask your pharmacist if your brand contains fish oil.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: CitraNatal 90 DHA is intended for use during pregnancy and breast-feeding. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use CitraNatal 90 DHA, check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of CitraNatal 90 DHA:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or discolored stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; seizure; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of CitraNatal 90 DHA:
Store CitraNatal 90 DHA at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep CitraNatal 90 DHA out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about CitraNatal 90 DHA, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- CitraNatal 90 DHA is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take CitraNatal 90 DHA or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about CitraNatal 90 DHA. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to CitraNatal 90 DHA. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using CitraNatal 90 DHA.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.