Cipro HC Otic
Generic Name: ciprofloxacin/hydrocortisone (sip-row-FLOX-ah-sin/hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone)
Brand Name: Cipro HC Otic
Cipro HC Otic is used for:
Treating outer ear infections caused by certain bacteria.
Cipro HC Otic is a quinolone antibiotic and corticosteroid combination. It works by killing bacteria by stopping the production of essential proteins needed by the bacteria to survive. It also reduces inflammation (redness, swelling, itching).
Do NOT use Cipro HC Otic if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cipro HC Otic or any other fluoroquinolone (eg, levofloxacin) or corticosteroid (eg, prednisone)
- you have a viral infection of the outer ear (eg, chickenpox, herpes) or a perforated ear drum
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cipro HC Otic:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cipro HC Otic. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cipro HC Otic. Because little, if any, of Cipro HC Otic is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Cipro HC Otic may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cipro HC Otic:
Use Cipro HC Otic as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Cipro HC Otic is only for the ear. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Wash hands before and after using Cipro HC Otic.
- Before using, hold the ear drop container in your hand for a few minutes to avoid dizziness that may result from putting cold drops into the ear.
- If possible, it may be easier to have another person place the drops in your ear.
- Lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. Gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for several minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- To prevent germs from getting into your medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Keep the container tightly closed.
- To clear up your infection completely, take/use Cipro HC Otic for the full course of treatment. Keep taking/using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Cipro HC Otic, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cipro HC Otic.
Important safety information:
- Be sure to use Cipro HC Otic for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Cipro HC Otic may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not get Cipro HC Otic in your eyes. If Cipro HC Otic gets in your eyes, immediately flush them with cool tap water.
- Talk to your doctor about how to space your doses if you are using other ear drops.
- Do not use Cipro HC Otic for other ear infections or conditions without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Cipro HC Otic should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 1 year old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Cipro HC Otic while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. Do not breast-feed while taking Cipro HC Otic.
Possible side effects of Cipro HC Otic:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); ear redness or swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Cipro HC Otic:
Store Cipro HC Otic below 77 degrees F ( 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Avoid freezing. Do not store in the bathroom. Throw away any unused medicine after your treatment has finished. Keep Cipro HC Otic out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cipro HC Otic, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cipro HC Otic is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Cipro HC Otic or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Cipro HC Otic. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Cipro HC Otic. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Cipro HC Otic.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.