Generic Name: minerals/iron (muhl-tee-VYE-ta-mins/MIN-er-als/EYE-urn)
Brand Name: Centrum Liquid
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
Centrum Liquid is used for:
Treating or preventing low levels of vitamins, iron, and minerals in the body. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Centrum Liquid is a vitamin, iron, and mineral supplement. It works by providing extra vitamins and minerals to the body when you do not get enough from your diet.
Do NOT use Centrum Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Centrum Liquid
- you have hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if this applies to you.
Before using Centrum Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Centrum Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bowel problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), certain blood disorders (eg, hemolytic anemia, porphyria cutanea tarda, thalassemia), or a peptic ulcer
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Centrum Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Acitretin because some of these products contain vitamin A, which may increase the risk of acitretin's side effects. If you are taking acitretin, ask your pharmacist if your product contains vitamin A
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Centrum Liquid
- Levodopa, mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid because their effectiveness may be decreased by Centrum Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Centrum Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Centrum Liquid:
Use Centrum Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Centrum Liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Centrum Liquid with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take Centrum Liquid.
- Avoid taking Centrum Liquid with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Centrum Liquid.
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, high blood pressure, low blood platelet levels, osteoporosis, thyroid problems) should not be taken at the same time as Centrum Liquid; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of Centrum Liquid should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Centrum Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Centrum Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use Centrum Liquid unless your doctor tells you to.
- Centrum Liquid may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Centrum Liquid has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Centrum Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Centrum Liquid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Centrum Liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Centrum Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or discolored stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood in the vomit; persistent nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; blood in the vomit; diarrhea; headache; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Centrum Liquid:
Store Centrum Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Centrum Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Centrum Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Centrum Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Centrum Liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Centrum Liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Centrum Liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Centrum Liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.