Generic Name: carbetapentane (kar-bay-ta-PEN-tane)
Brand Name: Solotuss
Carbetapentane suspension is used for:
Relieving unproductive cough due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Carbetapentane suspension is a cough suppressant. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use carbetapentane suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in carbetapentane suspension
- you are taking or have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
- you are breast-feeding
- the patient is a newborn
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using carbetapentane suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with carbetapentane suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic cough due to smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema, or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
- if you have a history of heart problems, high blood pressure, blood vessel problems, prostate problems, an overactive thyroid, diabetes, or glaucoma
- if you have phenylketonuria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with carbetapentane suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because they may increase the risk of carbetapentane suspension's side effects
- Antihistamines (eg, diphenhydramine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by carbetapentane suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if carbetapentane suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use carbetapentane suspension:
Use carbetapentane suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take carbetapentane suspension by mouth with or without food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of carbetapentane suspension and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use carbetapentane suspension.
Important safety information:
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using carbetapentane suspension; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not use carbetapentane suspension for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or occurs with a fever, rash, or persistent headache, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Carbetapentane suspension may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking carbetapentane suspension.
- Use carbetapentane suspension with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using carbetapentane suspension in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Carbetapentane suspension should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Do not use carbetapentane suspension in NEWBORNS.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using carbetapentane suspension while you are pregnant. It is not known if carbetapentane suspension is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while you are using carbetapentane suspension.
Possible side effects of carbetapentane suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with carbetapentane suspension. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; hallucinations; overexcitement; seizures; severe drowsiness.Proper storage of carbetapentane suspension:
Store carbetapentane suspension between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep carbetapentane suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about carbetapentane suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Carbetapentane suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about carbetapentane suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.