Generic Name: capsicum (Not applicable.)
Brand Name: ( Capsicum) Cayenne
Capsicum is used for:
Upset stomach, cold symptoms, pain treatments, and to improve circulation. It may also have other uses. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use.
Capsicum is an herbal product. It works by acting on the nerves to temporarily relieve pain sensations.
Do NOT use capsicum if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in capsicum
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using capsicum:
Some medical conditions may interact with capsicum. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances (especially latex, bananas, kiwi, chestnut, avocado)
- if you have ulcers or other stomach or bowel problems, or mugwort-celery-spice syndrome
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with capsicum. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if capsicum may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use capsicum:
Use capsicum as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dosing depends on the use and the source of the product.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss taking a dose of capsicum for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use capsicum.
Important safety information:
- Capsicum is not recommended for use in young CHILDREN.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Use of capsicum is not recommended if you are pregnant. Consult your doctor before using this product. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using this product, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of capsicum:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning in the mouth and throat; cough; runny nose; stomach pain; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of capsicum:
Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light unless otherwise directed on the package label. Do not store in the bathroom. Most herbal products are not in childproof containers. Keep capsicum out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about capsicum, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Capsicum is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take capsicum or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about capsicum. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to capsicum. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using capsicum.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.