Camphor/ capsicum/ menthol patch
Generic Name: camphor/capsicum/menthol (KAM-for/KAP-si-kum/MEN-thol)
Brand Name: Tiger Balm Pain Relieving Patch
Camphor/ capsicum/ menthol patch is used for:
Temporary relief of minor pain and aches from arthritis, backaches, or muscle strain.
Camphor/capsicum/menthol patch is a topical analgesic. It works by temporarily relieving minor pain.
Do NOT use camphor/ capsicum/ menthol patch if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in camphor/capsicum/menthol patch
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using camphor/ capsicum/ menthol patch:
Some medical conditions may interact with camphor/capsicum/menthol patch. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have cut, scraped, irritated, or damaged skin at the application site
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with camphor/capsicum/menthol patch. Because little, if any, of camphor/capsicum/menthol patch is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if camphor/capsicum/menthol patch may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use camphor/ capsicum/ menthol patch:
Use camphor/capsicum/menthol patch as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Camphor/capsicum/menthol patch is only to be used on intact, clean, dry skin. Do not apply camphor/capsicum/menthol patch to broken, damaged, or irritated skin.
- Wash and completely dry the area before you apply the patch.
- Remove the liner on the patch. Apply the patch so that it covers the painful area. If the painful area is larger than the patch, apply the patch over the most painful area.
- Wash your hands with soap after you apply camphor/capsicum/menthol patch.
- Do not use for 1 hour before or 30 minutes after bathing.
- If irritation or burning occurs when you apply the patch, remove it. Do not reapply any patches until the irritation stops.
- Do not wrap or bandage the treated area.
- Do not apply a heating pad or any other heat source to the treated area.
- Do not use camphor/capsicum/menthol patch more often than 3 times daily.
- After removing a patch, fold it in half with the sticky sides together. Discard the patch out of reach of children and away from pets.
- If you miss a dose of camphor/capsicum/menthol patch, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use camphor/capsicum/menthol patch.
Important safety information:
- Camphor/capsicum/menthol patch is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, on your lips, or in your nose, mouth, or genital area. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days, if they get worse, or if they clear up and occur again within a few days, check with your doctor.
- Camphor/capsicum/menthol patch may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Camphor/capsicum/menthol patch should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using camphor/capsicum/menthol patch while you are pregnant. It is not known if camphor/capsicum/menthol patch is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use camphor/capsicum/menthol patch, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of camphor/ capsicum/ menthol patch:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with camphor/capsicum/menthol patch. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe irritation at the application site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of camphor/capsicum/menthol patch:
Store camphor/capsicum/menthol patch in the sealed pouch at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep camphor/capsicum/menthol patch out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about camphor/capsicum/menthol patch, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Camphor/capsicum/menthol patch is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take camphor/capsicum/menthol patch or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about camphor/capsicum/menthol patch. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to camphor/capsicum/menthol patch. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using camphor/capsicum/menthol patch.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.