Generic Name: calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora (KAL-see-um/mag-NEE-zee-um/vuh-LEER-ee-uhn/ GINK-oh by-LOH-ba/PAS-si-FLOR-a)
Brand Name: Myofibex
Calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora is used for:
Muscle tension and relaxation. It may also have other uses. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the use of calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora.
Calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora is an herbal product. It works by increasing certain substances in the brain, which produces a relaxing effect.
Do NOT use calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora:
Some medical conditions may interact with calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have inflammation of your appendix (appendicitis)
- if you have a history of kidney problems, bowel blockage, low parathyroid hormone (PTH) deficiency, or sarcoidosis
- if you are taking any medicine for high blood pressure, seizures, sleep or anxiety, pain, or depression
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), azole antifungals (eg, fluconazole), benzodiazepines (eg, alprazolam), bisphosphonates (eg, alendronate), cation-exchange resins (eg, cholestyramine), cephalosporin antibiotics (eg, cefdinir), cyclosporine, digoxin, haloperidol, muscle relaxers (eg, cyclobenzaprine), mycophenolate, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), penicillamine, proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) (eg, omeprazole), quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), tetracycline antibiotics (eg, doxycycline), or trazodone
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora:
Use calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora.
Important safety information:
- Calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora may cause drowsiness or affect your thinking or reactions. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- This product has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as safe and effective for any medical condition. The long-term safety of herbal products is not known. Before using any alternative medicine, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora while you are pregnant. It is not known if calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burping; constipation; diarrhea; drowsiness; dry mouth; excitability; gas; headache; heartburn; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue); blurred vision; decreased coordination; light-headedness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora:
Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora does not have a childproof container. Keep calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using calcium/magnesium/valerian/ginkgo biloba/passiflora.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.