Butamben/ tetracaine/ benzocaine liquid
Generic Name: butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine (bue-TAM-ben/TE-tra-kane/BEN-zoe-kane)
Brand Name: Cetacaine
Butamben/ tetracaine/ benzocaine liquid is used for:
Treating pain in certain areas (eg, mouth, throat, ears, vagina, rectum). It may also be used to numb these areas before medical procedures. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid in a local anesthetic. It works by numbing sensitive and painful areas.
Do NOT use butamben/ tetracaine/ benzocaine liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid or to other local anesthetics (eg, butacaine, procaine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using butamben/ tetracaine/ benzocaine liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if the skin at the application area is damaged or inflamed
- if you have an active illness or you have low levels of an enzyme called cholinesterase
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid. Because little, if any, of butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use butamben/ tetracaine/ benzocaine liquid:
Use butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash your hands before and after you use butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid.
- To apply butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid, carefully follow the instructions provided by your doctor. If you have any questions about how to use butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid, check with your doctor.
- If you are using butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid as a spray, do not spray for longer than 2 seconds. This may increase the risk of side effects.
- If you are applying butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid with a cotton applicator, do not hold the cotton applicator in place for longer than directed. This may increase the risk of side effects.
- Do not apply butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid under dentures. Do not cover the treated area with a cotton roll. This may increase the risk of side effects.
- If you are using butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid on the mouth or throat, do not eat or drink for at least 1 hour after using butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid.
- If you miss a dose of butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid.
Important safety information:
- Do not get butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid in your eyes. If you get it in your eyes, rinse at once with cool water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor or dentist. Do not use more often than prescribed.
- Contact your doctor if you have persistent or worsening pain, redness, or irritation, or if you develop swelling, rash, or a fever. Tell your doctor if you have mouth sores that keep coming back.
- Butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid may cause harm if more than the amount used to treat pain is swallowed. If this occurs, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Use butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of butamben/ tetracaine/ benzocaine liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blue or purple color of the skin, lips, or nails; burning, irritation, redness, swelling, blisters, oozing, or tenderness at the application site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1.800.FDA.1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid may cause harm if more than is used for pain is swallowed. Symptoms may include blue skin or lips; trouble breathing.Proper storage of butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid:
Store butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using butamben/tetracaine/benzocaine liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.