Brompheniramine/ phenylephrine chewable tablets
Generic Name: brompheniramine/phenylephrine (BROME-fen-IR-a-meen/FEN-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include J-Tan D and Vazotab
Brompheniramine/ phenylephrine chewable tablets is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, pressure, runny nose, and sneezing caused by colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets is an antihistamine and decongestant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant promotes sinus and nasal drainage, which relieves congestion and pressure.
Do NOT use brompheniramine/ phenylephrine chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using brompheniramine/ phenylephrine chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have phenylketonuria, trouble urinating, or trouble sleeping
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); asthma; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; blood vessel problems; diabetes; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; or glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye
- if you have a history of heart problems, high blood pressure, lung problems (eg, emphysema), seizures, sleep apnea, stroke, thyroid problems, or ulcers
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets's side effects
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use brompheniramine/ phenylephrine chewable tablets:
Use brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Chew brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets well before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets without checking with your doctor.
- Brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets has brompheniramine and phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has brompheniramine or phenylephrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets for a few days before the tests.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excitability, low blood pressure, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Different brands of brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN. Use brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets while you are pregnant. Do not take brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets in the third trimester of pregnancy. Brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets.
Possible side effects of brompheniramine/ phenylephrine chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision or other vision changes; confusion; decreased coordination; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mood or mental changes; persistent trouble sleeping; restlessness; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular breathing; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets:
Store brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using brompheniramine/phenylephrine chewable tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about brompheniramine/phenylephrine
- Brompheniramine/phenylephrine elixir
- Brompheniramine/phenylephrine suspension
- Brompheniramine/phenylephrine sustained-release capsules
- Brompheniramine/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets
- Brompheniramine and phenylephrine