Biospec DMX elixir
Generic Name: dextromethorphan/guaifenesin (DEX-troe-meth-OR-fan/gwye-FEN-e-sin)
Brand Name: Examples include Biospec DMX and Robitussin DM
Biospec DMX elixir is used for:
Temporarily relieving cough due to the common cold, upper respiratory tract infections, sinus inflammation, sore throat, or bronchitis.
Biospec DMX elixir is a combination of an expectorant (guaifenesin) and a cough suppressant (dextromethorphan). It works by loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest and making coughs more productive.
Do NOT use Biospec DMX elixir if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Biospec DMX elixir
- you are taking or have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, selegiline) within the last 14 days
- you are taking a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) (eg, fluoxetine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Biospec DMX elixir:
Some medical conditions may interact with Biospec DMX elixir. Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a chronic cough or your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Biospec DMX elixir. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- MAOIs (eg, selegiline) and SSRIs (eg, fluoxetine) because the risk of toxic side effects may be increased by Biospec DMX elixir
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Biospec DMX elixir may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Biospec DMX elixir:
Use Biospec DMX elixir as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Biospec DMX elixir by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure this dose.
- To help Biospec DMX elixir work, drink plenty of extra fluids while taking Biospec DMX elixir, unless your health care provider instructed otherwise.
- If you miss a dose of Biospec DMX elixir and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Biospec DMX elixir.
Important safety information:
- Biospec DMX elixir may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or light-headedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Biospec DMX elixir with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- If your cough lasts for more than 1 week or comes back, or if you also have a fever, rash, or persistent headache, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Biospec DMX elixir has dextromethorphan and guaifenesin in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has dextromethorphan or guaifenesin in it, too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use Biospec DMX elixir for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a chronic cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Diabetes patients - Some brands of Biospec DMX elixir may contain sugar. This may affect your blood sugar level. Read the label carefully before using Biospec DMX elixir.
- Some brands of Biospec DMX elixir contain sodium. If you are on a low-salt diet, ask your pharmacist if your brand contains sodium.
- Different brands of Biospec DMX elixir may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN. Follow the dosing instructions on the package labeling. If your doctor has given you instructions, follow those. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Biospec DMX elixir while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Biospec DMX elixir.
Possible side effects of Biospec DMX elixir:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Biospec DMX elixir:
Store Biospec DMX elixir at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not refrigerate. Keep Biospec DMX elixir out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Biospec DMX elixir, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Biospec DMX elixir is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Biospec DMX elixir or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Biospec DMX elixir. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Biospec DMX elixir. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Biospec DMX elixir.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Biospec DMX (dextromethorphan / guaifenesin)
- Other brands: Robitussin Cough + Chest Congestion DM, Mucinex DM, Tussin DM, Guaifenesin DM, More (53) »