Generic Name: povidone/iodine (POE-vi-done/EYE-oh-dine)
Brand Name: Examples include Betadine and Operand
Betadine douche is used for:
Relieving minor vaginal irritation and itching. It may also be used to cleanse and deodorize the vaginal area.
Betadine douche is an antiseptic combination. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Betadine douche if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Betadine douche
- you are pregnant or breast-feeding
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Betadine douche:
Some medical conditions may interact with Betadine douche. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), a history of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), or thyroid problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Betadine douche. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Betadine douche may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Betadine douche:
Use Betadine douche as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Follow the package directions for using Betadine douche, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Betadine douche, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Betadine douche.
Important safety information:
- If you have had a severe allergic reaction to Betadine douche or a medicine that contains iodine, contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately. A severe allergic reaction includes a severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, or dizziness. If you have questions about whether you are allergic to Betadine douche or if a certain medicine contains iodine, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- If you experience a skin rash, hives, or itching, or any other unusual reaction after using this product, discontinue use and contact your doctor as soon as possible.
- If symptoms of vaginal itching and irritation persist for more than 5 days, or if redness, swelling, or pain develops, stop use and contact your doctor.
- Betadine douche is not a contraceptive agent. It will not prevent pregnancy.
- Do not use Betadine douche sooner than 6 hours after intercourse if you were using a vaginal spermicide for contraception.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Betadine douche, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Betadine douche during pregnancy. It is unknown if Betadine douche is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while using Betadine douche.
Possible side effects of Betadine douche:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chills; excessive vaginal dryness; fever; severe stomach pain; unusual vaginal discharge; vaginal pain, soreness, swelling, redness, or irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Betadine douche may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Betadine douche:
Store Betadine douche at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Betadine douche out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Betadine douche, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Betadine douche is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Betadine douche or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Betadine douche. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Betadine douche. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Betadine douche.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More Betadine douche resources
- Iodex Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information