Benzoyl peroxide/ sulfur gel
Generic Name: benzoyl peroxide/sulfur (BEN-zoe-il per-OX-ide/SULL-fer)
Brand Name: NuOx
Benzoyl peroxide/ sulfur gel is used for:
Treating acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel is a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. Exactly how benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel works to treat acne is unknown, but it may be effective because of its antibacterial, peeling (keratolytic), and drying actions.
Do NOT use benzoyl peroxide/ sulfur gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using benzoyl peroxide/ sulfur gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel. However, no specific interactions with benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use benzoyl peroxide/ sulfur gel:
Use benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel is for external use only.
- Wash your hands before and after using benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel, unless your hands are a part of the affected area.
- Wash the affected area gently with a non-medicated soap and dry. Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area and gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed.
- If you miss a dose of benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel.
Important safety information:
- Certain acne products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can rarely cause serious and sometimes life-threatening allergic reactions or severe irritation. Before first use, you may need to follow certain steps to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction. Use benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel as you were told by your doctor or read the package label. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Use on the skin only. Avoid getting benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel in your eyes, on the inside of your nose or mouth, on highly inflamed or damaged skin, or on your lips. If you get benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel in your eyes, immediately wash them out with cool tap water.
- Avoid applying benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel to raw or irritated skin, including sunburns, or to open wounds.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not improve or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin without checking with your doctor.
- Benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel may cause bleaching. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- Benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of benzoyl peroxide/ sulfur gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dryness; peeling; redness; stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive burning, itching, irritation, peeling, redness, or tenderness of your skin; extreme dryness; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include excessive scaling; flushing; redness; swelling.Proper storage of benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel:
Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from fire, flame, heat, and light. Keep benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using benzoyl peroxide/sulfur gel.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.