Benzoyl peroxide/ salicylic acid pads
Generic Name: benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid (BEN-zoe-il per-OX-ide/SAL-i-SIL-ik AS-id)
Brand Name: Cleanse and Treat Plus
Benzoyl peroxide/ salicylic acid pads are used for:
Benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads are a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. It works by killing bacteria that cause acne. It also has mild drying and peeling activity on the skin. The emollient works by keeping the skin soft and decreasing irritation.
Do NOT use benzoyl peroxide/ salicylic acid pads if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using benzoyl peroxide/ salicylic acid pads:
Some medical conditions may interact with benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads. However, no specific interactions with benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use benzoyl peroxide/ salicylic acid pads:
Use benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash the affected area with a mild cleanser and water before applying benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads.
- Apply benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads and cream in this kit as directed. Cover all the affected areas.
- Do not apply benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads to raw, inflamed, damaged, or irritated skin, including sunburns. Do not apply to open wounds.
- Wash your hands immediately after using benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads.
- If you miss a dose of benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads.
Important safety information:
- Benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads are for use on the skin only. Do not get benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads in your eyes, on your eyelids or lips, or on the inside of your nose or mouth. If you get benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads in your eyes, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Avoid applying benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads to raw or irritated skin, including sunburns, or to open wounds.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not improve or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin.
- Benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads may cause bleaching. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- Benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads has a salicylate in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a salicylate in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of benzoyl peroxide/ salicylic acid pads:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dryness; feeling of warmth; mild irritation, itching, peeling, redness, or stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive burning, itching, irritation, peeling, redness, or tenderness of your skin; extreme dryness; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include deep or rapid breathing; excessive scaling; redness; ringing in the ears or hearing loss; severe dizziness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea; swelling.Proper storage of benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads:
Store at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container, away from heat and light. Do not freeze. Keep benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about benzoyl peroxide/salicylic acid pads. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.