Benzac AC wash
Generic Name: benzoyl peroxide (BEN-zoyl per-OX-ide)
Brand Name: Examples include Benzac AC and EthexDERM BPW
Benzac AC wash is used for:
Benzac AC wash is a keratolytic agent with antibacterial actions. The effectiveness of benzoyl peroxide appears to be due to its antibacterial, peeling (keratolytic), and drying actions.
Do NOT use Benzac AC wash if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Benzac AC wash
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Benzac AC wash:
Some medical conditions may interact with Benzac AC wash. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Benzac AC wash. However, no specific interactions with Benzac AC wash are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Benzac AC wash may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Benzac AC wash:
Use Benzac AC wash as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wet the affected area. Use your hands to apply the medicine and gently wash the affected area. Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Wash your hands after using Benzac AC wash.
- If you miss a dose of Benzac AC wash, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Benzac AC wash.
Important safety information:
- Use on the skin only. Avoid getting Benzac AC wash in your eyes, eyelids, on the inside of your nose or mouth, on highly inflamed or damaged skin, or on your lips. If you get Benzac AC wash in your eyes, immediately wash them out with cool tap water.
- Avoid applying Benzac AC wash to raw or irritated skin, including sunburns, or to open wounds.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue to use Benzac AC wash for the full time recommended by your doctor. If your acne does not improve or if it gets worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines, special cleansers, aftershave, or cosmetics on your skin.
- Benzac AC wash may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Benzac AC wash. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Benzac AC wash may cause bleaching. Avoid contact with hair, fabrics, or carpeting.
- Benzac AC wash should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Benzac AC wash can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Benzac AC wash while you are pregnant. It is not known if Benzac AC wash is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Benzac AC wash, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Benzac AC wash:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dryness; feeling of warmth; irritation; itching; peeling; redness; stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; dizziness; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excessive burning, itching, irritation, peeling, redness, or tenderness of your skin; extreme dryness; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include excessive scaling; flushing; redness; swelling.Proper storage of Benzac AC wash:
Store at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container, away from fire, flame, heat, moisture, and light. Keep Benzac AC wash out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Benzac AC wash, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benzac AC wash is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Benzac AC wash or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Benzac AC wash. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Benzac AC wash. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Benzac AC wash.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.