Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid
Generic Name: diphenhydramine/pseudoephedrine (DYE-fen-HYE-dra-meen/SOO-doe-e-FED-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid and Children's Benadryl-D Allergy and Sinus
Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, pressure, runny nose, and sneezing due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid is an antihistamine and decongestant combination. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant works by promoting sinus and nasal drainage, which relieves congestion and pressure.
Do NOT use Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, fast heartbeat, severe heart problems, narrow-angle glaucoma, or if you are unable to urinate
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of lung or breathing problems (eg, asthma, emphysema); sleep apnea; trouble sleeping; blood problems (eg, porphyria); adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); high blood pressure; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; heart problems; heart blood vessel problems; or stroke
- if you have a history of diabetes; glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; or thyroid problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid's side effects
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) or bromocriptine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid:
Use Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid has diphenhydramine and pseudoephedrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has diphenhydramine or pseudoephedrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excitability, low blood pressure, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid while you are pregnant. Do not take Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid in the third trimester of pregnancy. Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid.
Possible side effects of Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, and throat; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision or other vision changes; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; mood or mental changes; persistent trouble sleeping; restlessness; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor; trouble urinating or inability to urinate; unusual bruising or bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular breathing; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid:
Store Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Benadryl Allergy and Sinus Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Benadryl Allergy Sinus (diphenhydramine / pseudoephedrine)
- Other brands: Benadryl Children's Allergy And Sinus, Tavist NightTime Allergy, Benaphen Plus, Respa SA