Bactroban Nasal ointment
Generic Name: mupirocin (mue-PIR-oh-sin)
Brand Name: Bactroban Nasal
Bactroban Nasal ointment is used for:
Treating infections in the nose. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Bactroban Nasal ointment is an antibacterial. It works by stopping the production of essential proteins needed by the bacteria to survive.
Do NOT use Bactroban Nasal ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Bactroban Nasal ointment
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Bactroban Nasal ointment:
Some medical conditions may interact with Bactroban Nasal ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are treating a burn or open wound
- if you have kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Bactroban Nasal ointment. However, no specific interactions with Bactroban Nasal ointment are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Bactroban Nasal ointment may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Bactroban Nasal ointment:
Use Bactroban Nasal ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply one-half of the medicine from the single-use tube directly into one nostril and the other half into the other nostril.
- Throw away the tube after using. Do not reuse.
- Press the sides of the nose together and gently massage for about 1 minute after application to spread the ointment throughout the inside of the nostrils.
- Bactroban Nasal ointment should not be used along with other nasal products/medicines.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Bactroban Nasal ointment for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Bactroban Nasal ointment.
- If you miss a dose of Bactroban Nasal ointment, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bactroban Nasal ointment.
Important safety information:
- Bactroban Nasal ointment is for use inside your nose only. Do not get it in your eyes or mouth. If you get it in these areas, rinse well with cool water.
- Use Bactroban Nasal ointment with caution on skin with open wounds.
- Be sure to use Bactroban Nasal ointment for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Bactroban Nasal ointment may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- A serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) has happened with nearly all antibiotics, including Bactroban Nasal ointment. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Bactroban Nasal ointment while you are pregnant. It is not known if Bactroban Nasal ointment is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Bactroban Nasal ointment, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Bactroban Nasal ointment:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning; change in sense of taste; congestion; cough; headache; sore throat; stinging; stuffy nose.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe irritation; severe itching.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Bactroban Nasal ointment:
Store Bactroban Nasal ointment at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Do not refrigerate. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Bactroban Nasal ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Bactroban Nasal ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bactroban Nasal ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Bactroban Nasal ointment or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Bactroban Nasal ointment. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Bactroban Nasal ointment. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Bactroban Nasal ointment.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Bactroban Nasal (mupirocin topical)
- Other brands: Centany