Generic Name: benzocaine (BEN-zoe-kane)
Brand Name: Anbesol
Anbesol liquid is used for:
Treating pain from mouth and gum irritations (eg, canker sores). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Anbesol liquid in a local anesthetic. It works by numbing sensitive and painful areas.
Do NOT use Anbesol liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Anbesol liquid or to other local anesthetics (eg, butacaine, procaine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Anbesol liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Anbesol liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Anbesol liquid. Because little, if any, of Anbesol liquid is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Anbesol liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Anbesol liquid:
Use Anbesol liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An adult should supervise the use of Anbesol liquid if the patient is a CHILD younger than 12 years old.
- To use a dose of Anbesol liquid, follow the instructions provided by your doctor or on the product label.
- Wash your hands before and after you use Anbesol liquid. Apply medicine to the affected area by using cotton, a cotton swab, or a clean fingertip.
- Do not eat or drink for at least 1 hour after using Anbesol liquid.
- Do not use Anbesol liquid within 1 hour of your previous dose or use more than 4 times per day, unless your doctor or dentist tells you otherwise.
- If you miss a dose of Anbesol liquid, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Anbesol liquid.
Important safety information:
- Do not get Anbesol liquid in your eyes. If you get it in your eyes, rinse at once with cool water.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 7 days without checking with your doctor or dentist.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Contact your doctor if you have persistent or worsening pain, redness, or irritation, or if you develop swelling, rash, or a fever. Tell your doctor if you have mouth sores that keep coming back.
- Anbesol liquid may cause harm if more than the amount used to treat pain is swallowed. If this occurs, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Anbesol liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old without checking with the child's doctor or dentist; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Anbesol liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Anbesol liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Anbesol liquid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Anbesol liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Anbesol liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); mouth burning, irritation, redness, swelling, or tenderness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Anbesol liquid may cause harm if more than is used for pain is swallowed. Symptoms may include blue skin or lips; trouble breathing.Proper storage of Anbesol liquid:
Store Anbesol liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Anbesol liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Anbesol liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Anbesol liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Anbesol liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Anbesol liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Anbesol liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Anbesol liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Anbesol (benzocaine topical)
- Anbesol Gel
- Anbesol Liquid
- Anbesol Liquid Cool Mint
- Anbesol Maximum Strength
- Anbesol (Advanced Reading)
- More (2) »
- Other brands: Orajel, Vagisil Anti-Itch Creme, Americaine, Cepacol Dual Relief Sore Throat, More (39) »