Generic Name: ampicillin (AM-pi-SIL-in)
Brand Name: Ampicillin
Ampicillin solution is used for:
Treating and preventing infections caused by certain types of bacteria.
Ampicillin solution is a penicillin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria by interfering with formation of the bacteria's cell wall while it is growing. This weakens the cell wall and it ruptures, resulting in the death of the bacteria.
Do NOT use Ampicillin solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ampicillin solution or to any other penicillin antibiotic (eg, amoxicillin)
- you are taking a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, doxycycline)
- you have mononucleosis ("mono")
- you have recently received or will be receiving live oral typhoid vaccine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ampicillin solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ampicillin solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a stomach infection or diarrhea
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to a cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin) or other beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, imipenem)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ampicillin solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because they may decrease Ampicillin solution's effectiveness
- Probenecid because it may increase the risk of Ampicillin solution's side effects
- Allopurinol because the risk of skin rash may be increased
- Anticoagulants (heparin, warfarin) or methotrexate because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Ampicillin solution
- Aminoglycosides, birth control pills, or live oral typhoid vaccine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Ampicillin solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ampicillin solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ampicillin solution:
Use Ampicillin solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ampicillin solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Ampicillin solution at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Ampicillin solution. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Ampicillin solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Use Ampicillin solution on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Using Ampicillin solution at the same time each day will help you remember to use it.
- If Ampicillin solution is given intravenously (IV) or intramuscularly (IM), it should be given within 1 hour of mixture. After 1 hour, it begins to lose its potency.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Ampicillin solution for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Ampicillin solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ampicillin solution.
Important safety information:
- Ampicillin solution only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use Ampicillin solution for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Ampicillin solution may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- If vomiting or diarrhea occurs, you will need to take care not to become dehydrated. Contact your doctor for instructions.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Some injectable penicillins contain sodium. Contact your doctor if you are on a salt-restricted diet or if your condition could be worsened with an increase in salt intake (eg, congestive heart failure).
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Ampicillin solution. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Diabetes patients - Ampicillin solution may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including white blood cell counts and kidney function tests, may be performed while you use Ampicillin solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Ampicillin solution with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 10 years old who have diarrhea or an infection of the stomach or bowel.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ampicillin solution while you are pregnant. Ampicillin solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ampicillin solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ampicillin solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Black, "hairy" tongue; inflammation and redness of the tongue; mild diarrhea; nausea; second infection; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; chills; fever; itching; muscle pain; pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; severe diarrhea; stomach pain/cramps; vaginal irritation or discharge.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; nausea; seizures; vomiting.Proper storage of Ampicillin solution:
Ampicillin solution is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Ampicillin solution at home, store Ampicillin solution as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Ampicillin solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ampicillin solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ampicillin solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ampicillin solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ampicillin solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ampicillin solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ampicillin solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about ampicillin
- Other brands: Principen