simethicone chewable tablets
Generic Name: aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone (a-LOO-min-uhm/KAL-see-uhm/mag-NEE-zee-uhm/si-METH-i-kone)
Brand Name: Tempo
Aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets is used for:
Treating acid indigestion, heartburn, gas, and sour stomach. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets is an antacid and antiflatulent. It works by neutralizing acid in the stomach. It also helps to break up gas bubble in the stomach, allowing it to be passed through the system more comfortably.
Do NOT use aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets
- you are also taking citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives)
- you have a history of high blood calcium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Alzheimer disease, kidney problems, appendicitis, diarrhea, a stomach blockage, or an ileostomy
- if you have recently had stomach bleeding
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate) and citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives) because they may increase the actions and the risk of aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), quinidine, or sulfonylureas (eg, glyburide) because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), bisphosphonates (eg, risedronate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), corticosteroids (eg, hydrocortisone), cyclosporine, delavirdine, digoxin, imidazoles (eg, ketoconazole), mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine), or verapamil because their effectiveness may be decreased by aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets, especially when taken at the same time as aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets:
Use aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing. Drink a glass of water after swallowing.
- Do not use aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets within 2 hours before or after taking a beta-blocker (eg, propranolol), bisphosphonate (eg, risedronate), cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), corticosteroid (eg, hydrocortisone), delavirdine, digoxin, imidazole (eg, ketoconazole), penicillamine, or sulfonylurea (eg, glyburide) because their effectiveness may be decreased by aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets.
- If you miss a dose of aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use the maximum dose for longer than 2 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 weeks or if they get worse, or if you experience black, tarry stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds, check with your doctor.
- Aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets has aluminum and magnesium in it. Before you start any new prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read the ingredients to see if it has aluminum or magnesium in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets while you are pregnant. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); loss of appetite; muscle weakness; nausea; slow reflexes; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets:
Store aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about aluminum/calcium/magnesium/simethicone chewable tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.