Generic Name: nitazoxanide (nye-ta-ZOX-a-nide)
Brand Name: Alinia
Alinia suspension is used for:
Treating certain parasitic infections of the intestine.
Alinia suspension is an antiparasitic agent. It works by interfering with the production of certain substances that are needed by the parasite to live.
Do NOT use Alinia suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Alinia suspension
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Alinia suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Alinia suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver or gallbladder problems, kidney problems, immune system problems, or HIV infection
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Alinia suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Warfarin because its actions and side effects may be increased by Alinia suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Alinia suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Alinia suspension:
Use Alinia suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Alinia suspension with food.
- Shake well before using.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Alinia suspension, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Alinia suspension.
Important safety information:
- Alinia suspension may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Alinia suspension. Using Alinia suspension alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Diabetes patients - Alinia suspension contains sucrose.
- Use Alinia suspension with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 1 year of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Alinia suspension, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Alinia suspension during pregnancy. It is not known if Alinia suspension is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risk to your baby.
Possible side effects of Alinia suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; headache; nausea; stomach pain.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bone pain; fainting; fast heartbeat; severe or persistent dizziness; shortness of breath; unusual tiredness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Alinia suspension:
Store Alinia suspension at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 58 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Throw away any unused medicine after 7 days. Keep Alinia suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Alinia suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Alinia suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Alinia suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Alinia suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Alinia suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Alinia suspension.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.