phenylephrine powder packet
Generic Name: acetaminophen/phenylephrine (a-SEET-a-MIN-oh-fen/FEN-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet is used for:
Relieving symptoms such as pain, sinus congestion, sore throat, and fever due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet is an analgesic and decongestant combination. The analgesic works in the brain to help decrease pain. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages, which decreases stuffiness.
Do NOT use acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet:
Some medical conditions may interact with acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor), heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, blood vessel problems, stroke, glaucoma, an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems, seizures, an overactive thyroid, severe kidney problems, or liver problems (eg, hepatitis), or if you drink 3 or more drinks with alcohol per day
- if you smoke or have a history of addiction to alcohol
- if you are on a low-salt (sodium) diet
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), indomethacin, isoniazid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), digoxin, or droxidopa because the risk of bleeding, irregular heartbeat, or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine because its side effects may be increased by acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet:
Use acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet by mouth with or without food.
- Dissolve contents of 1 packet in 8 oz hot water. Sip while hot. Drink entire mixture within 10 to 15 minutes.
- If using a microwave, stir before and after heating. Do not overheat.
- If you miss a dose of acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet.
Important safety information:
- Acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you use acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet unless your doctor tells you to.
- Acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet has acetaminophen and phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has acetaminophen or a decongestant (eg, phenylephrine) in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If sore throat does not get better within 2 days or fever does not get better within 3 days, or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- If your other symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet may harm your liver. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet. Talk to your doctor before you take acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet or other fever reducers if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Do not use acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet while you are pregnant. Acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine or pale stools; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mood or mental changes; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; severe or persistent loss of appetite; severe or persistent nervousness, restlessness, or trouble sleeping; stomach pain; tremor; vision changes; yellowing of skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet:
Store acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using acetaminophen/phenylephrine powder packet.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about acetaminophen/phenylephrine
- Other brands: Vicks Dayquil Sinus, Sudafed PE Pressure + Pain, Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold and Sinus, Tylenol Sinus Congestion & Pain Daytime, More (6) »