Terazosin use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Terazosin: Hytrin
Terazosin Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Because no information is available on the use of terazosin during breastfeeding, an alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Possible Effects on Lactation
Relevant published information in nursing mothers was not found as of the revision date. However, the pharmacologically similar drug prazosin does not affect serum prolactin concentration in patients with hypertension. The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
1. Barbieri C, Caldara R, Ferrari C et al. Metabolic effects of prazosin. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1980;27:313-6. PMID: 6102000
2. Barbieri C, Ferrari C, Borzio M et al. Metabolic effects of chronic prazosin treatment. Horm Metab Res. 1980;12:331-4. PMID: 6105121
CAS Registry Number
- Adrenergic alpha-Antagonists
- Antihypertensive Agents
LactMed Record Number
Information from the National Library of Medicine's LactMed Database.
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
- Terazosin use during Pregnancy
- Terazosin Consumer Information
- Breastfeeding Support Group
- Safe Medications during Breastfeeding
- Medicine use while Breastfeeding
- Medicine use during Pregnancy